This is the Message Centre for clzoomer- a bit woobly

Holiday Canning

Post 1

clzoomer- a bit woobly

This year no pickled beans after the very hot batch last year was labeled *toxic* by friends and family. smiley - rofl

Beets, apple jelly, apple sauce, plum jam, pickled onions and pickled eggs this year. I've done the onions and eggs in malt vinegar this year so they aren't quite so tart. Six quarts of the eggs, with nutmeg in the vinegar and cloves stuck in the eggs, a family recipe. My only disappointment this time around was the apple jelly which didn't set quite hard enough. If it's refrigerated it will do but not at room temperature.

Next come the wine and beer for next Summer, I think I might experiment with some flavours with them as well. Any suggestions?

smiley - cheers

Holiday Canning

Post 2

anhaga

I thought it said 'Holiday Caning'. 'There he goes about butts again,' I thought.smiley - winkeye

I've been canning as well: Jalapeno jelly (homegrown), pear, crabapple and rowan berry, antipasto, portsmiley - drool(homemade).

I'm a purist when it comes to wine and beer so I won't suggest any flavours. Although, Amber's down the street makes a nice maple lager http://www.ambersbrewing.com/ When I make wine and beer I pretty much stick to the usual ingredients, although I do a dandelion batch most years. Right now I've got fresh Trebianno and Nebbiolo juice (all the way from Italy) fermenting away nicely.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for clzoomer- a bit woobly

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more