This is the Message Centre for BobTheFarmer

2006 - The Musical

Post 1

BobTheFarmer

January: Far-Another Way Out

Awash upon a sea of ego, I abandoned my casual funkbuddy Emma thinking that I'd pick up another before too long. I blame this calous act for the sex draught known as 2006, a year in which I have had sex a grand total of 5 times. Not 5 people, 5 times. 5 nights in a year making 2006 the driest year since I lost my virginity aged 16. Not even a three-week-fling or two to bulk up the numbers.
Maybe my attitude to this reflects my growing age, any previous year I would have been emotionally effected, but this year, although it wasn't what I desired, I found I didn't actually care so much. Am I getting old?

Maybe it was also a large part to do with the fact that January was the month I found out my ex Frankie had moved back to Bristol. Had a few good phone chats with her and was getting on as well as ever. I didn't know whether she was with somebody, I didn't want to find out. The discovery of her presence back here did some funny things to my head.

My birthday came and went at the end of the month with the usual lack of ceremony this attracts these days. A night out with a couple of friends, was a good one but not really any different than any other of the nights out in a year.

February: Jenna G - In Love

February marked the continuation of the Frankie saga, we went on a night out together at the start of the month, and I read far too much into her statement "It was really good to see you again." Started lusting and loving and generally making a fool of myself. Found out she was still with the bloke she'd been with for a couple of years...

February also marked the beginning of a small sub-life crisis started when one of my best friends announced his intention to join the army, another best friend had a kid and I had an intense feeling of life rushing away from me. Approaching my mid-twenties seemed like an impending doom, as if I was already on the downwards spiral. I want to club and drug and pub for the far forseeable future, mates calming and slowing down isn't something I look forward to, in fact, it's a dread that keeps me awake at night.

February was a troubled month...

March: Lucky Pressure-Roni Size and Reprasent

I really can't remember much about March. I think the Frankie thing marched on (do you see what I did there?) And towards the end of the month I became more resigned to the fact that we'd just be friends, but that seemed cool now. I could appreciate it now, we make very good friends, I'll give you that, but maybe we weren't the best couple...

I moved out of my grotty bedsit into my new place in March. That was a welcome move, a lovely, well kept house rather than a dirty squalid bedsit. Plus housemates who spoke English and I could interact with. My room at this house is larger than my whole bedsit was, and that contained a kitchenette and all...

March seemed to be the end of the afformentioned sub life crisis, I spread my friendship base a little further out and reopened connections with friends who are a little more like me, reckless hedonists with no desire to settle down. I also got my next few years of life planned out... Getting out of debt and travelling, although a good 3 years away, are not so abstract goals anymore, there are times and dates to my exit from debt and then exit from this world.

April: "But the sex was good"-Skunk Anansie
Typical isn't it? I give up on Frankie and embrace her as a friend, and what happens? We sleep together... Bumped into her on a night out and she'd split up with her bloke, we went back to mine for what was explicitly stated as "Just Sex" It was good, it was Just Sex...

Maybe it helped that I was trying to court a girl I knew from a couple of years back. This didn't come to anything, a couple of dates, we sleep together and I don't hear from her again. If I didn't know I was an amazing shag I'd probably have taken quite an ego knock at this point. Maybe that's what's so different these days, my ego and vanity has grown to a point where it is self sustaining. Is that a good thing? I don't know but if the result is a more content me I'm all for it.

I was given a car this month which resulted in 6 months of driving, two written off cars and two break-ins. Car's suck, although driving did allow me to get away for couple of camping trips over the summer. I'm going back to motorbikes this year methinks.

June: Wish you were here-Incubus

This month I had the pleasure of being selected for a shipwrecked audition, this further helped shake off the shackles of the "sub-life crisis." For the month all I could think about was getting on that island for 5months, and then maybe everything would be different. I really can't think of anything else that happened this month, I made my way camping with mates, and also managed to blow my car up on the motorway. The usual going out continued and I continued to insinuate my way into Bristol's DnB scene... It's good these days, so many of the local DJ's, MC's and promoters I count as good friends now...

July: Catch You- Kosheen

So I had my shipwrecked interview at the start of the month and then heard no more about it... We were told if you hear nothing you haven't got through so that's what happened there. A pity, but I can always try again next year. The hot summer was good, went camping again and generally had an decent time of things. Ashton Court festival was amazing as ever, also ran into an old friend Poppy there who I hadn't seen since she left for University three years back. Always had a slight thing for her and sorta hoped something might happen sometime.

August: Cleansed by a nightmare- Dylan and Limewax

Operation time. This month I had an operation to graft bone from my pelvis into my wrist to heal an old non-union from back when I did my foot in. Bad, you might think. Nope, it was amazing. I had over two months off work fully paid, in the summer. I think in this time for the first time I learnt to be comfortable in my own company, and actually found some enjoyment in it rather than just waiting for the chance to be around people. Although being the summer student friends were about all the time so I could live it up when I wanted

This was also the month I made my first solo mission to a DnB rave in London, met lots of cool people, bearing in mind I post a lot on a DnB forum going to this rave was like a forum meet, I told people to look out for a half-chinese person with a cast on his arm and I had people saying hello all night... Had an amazing time.

September: Feel good hit of the summer-Queens of the Stone Age

What happened here? Apart from being hit by a van and having another car written off I really can't remember anything of any significance.

October: Amphetamine Girl-Everclear

Well, ended up coming home with Poppy one night, we didn't shag that night, but a week or so later. I was just a rebound though, she'd only recently split up with her bloke. We still chat and she knows there's an open offer there, she hasn't taken it up though. Shagged Frankie again this month on another of her "breaks" from her boyfriend (we meet up for a drink every month or two). Unfortunately I managed to do it while I was trying to get into Poppy without realising that they were friends. Ooops. Boot in shoite time.

November: Cleansed by a nightmare- Dylan and Limewax

Raving. Smoking. Drinking. The usual. I can't think of anything specific, but usually even a quiet month has many nights out and parties...

December: Easy like a Sunday-First Degree Burns

The xmas celebrations were marked with some extreme MDMA abuse. Lots of nights out and parties, although marred by vomiting and diarhooea(sic and sick) through actual xmas. New years was great, load of us at one of my favourite clubs, and I even got lucky smiley - devil in the early hours of 2007. Maybe that's a good omen for the year ahead.

2007: What I want?

What do I want? I don't know, but what I do know is that if a relationship chance turned up these days I'd probably go for it. Maybe I'm getting lame in my old age... But I do want someone who wants to rave and dance with me then lie in bed all next day smoking weed and shagging, oh yeah, and someone to hold and share my bed (not necessarily always sexually) sometimes, there's been an extreme lack of physical contact this year. I don't ask for much.
Need to get abroad this year as well, my holidays in total last year amounted to a couple of weekends camping... Another motorbike is pretty high on my wish list too.
Also I'm gonna start on the weights again, I miss those muscles...

But all in all, I'm reasonably content these days. Obviously troubles bring you down, but I'm much more settled in myself in some ways. Think I have grown up this year somewhat, although I still love to indulge my immature side. So here's to 2007

Key: Complain about this post

2006 - The Musical

More Conversations for BobTheFarmer

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more