A Conversation for Phil Ochs - Protest Singer

My Favorites

Post 1

Steve K.

I've always thought of "There But For Fortune" as Phil Och's best known song, recognized by folks who don't even know the name Phil Ochs. But my favorite has always been "Draft Dodger Rag" with all the ways to avoid the draft. He left out a few my classmates were considering, though - shooting a bald eagle (a felony in the USA) or blowing off your big toe which reportedly disqualified one for military service. I don't recall if becoming a mail-order minister ever worked out ... smiley - angel

P.S. Lyrics and chords for these two and many more are at the Phil Ochs Homepage listed in the entry.

My Favorites

Post 2

Rivkeh Yankee-Shoes... bashing about the BoE again

I was a big fan of "Changes" growing up. As amazing as some of his satire and political barbs were (and continue to be) his love song is still a masterpiece of poetry.

My Favorites

Post 3

ExpatChick

There But for Fortune is great, but nothing beats the dark humor of Draft Dodger's Rag's lyrics. I found all of Phil Och's albums (yes, albums, as in scratchy LPs)
in the attic when I was 12, fell in love, memorized all the lyrics, and then sent my mom into a philosophical crisis. She, who can not only sing along, but also play along on her vintage acoustic guitar, had all but forgotten her heady days of marching on Washington, social outrage got lost somwhere on the march up the coroporate ladder. When I started getting into all the same stuff she had loved, she got very nostalgic, then guilty. Yep, Ochs' music is some pretty powerful stuff.
"When an a-bomb (?) hits, I get epileptic fits, and I'm addicted to a thousand drugs..."

My Favorites

Post 4

Steve K.

Powerful stuff is right. Most of my favorite memories of live music involve one or a few folks playing guitar and singing. Rather than the extravaganzas put on by some of the rock stars - the music gets lost in the fireworks. The last CD I bought at "full" price was the soundtrack from "O, Brother, Where Art Thou?", some great music. apparently others agreed - I think it won Best Album Grammy, and the same at the Country Music Awards.

A similar movie is "Songcatcher", 1999. From a review at Internet Movie Database:

"Summary: I saw the film get a standing ovation @ Sundance

SONGCATCHER was my surprise find @ Sundance. At 8:30 am, I found myself entranced in the early 20th century Appalachian Mountains listening to the music and poetry of lost societies--lyrics that reflect the trials and tribulations of the archaic communities of both 16th century Scotland & Ireland as well as the isolated mountain communities of the post Civil War South. [Director Maggie] Greenwald wisely gives her vocalist leads lots of rein. Of course, Emmy Rossum's Deladis has an exceptional gift. While her vibrant voice punctuates the entire film, Iris DeMent & Taj Mahal set a pace that perfectly accommodates their music and Greenwald's film."

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Phil Ochs - Protest Singer

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more