A Conversation for Liar Paradox

Post 21

Ac-1D

Tell that to Hilary!!!

Post 22

what you know as km

Someone did. She says she doesn't mind because it's just about sex.

This is what we call campaigning.

Post 23

Ac-1D

there is much to learn, young Ac-1D before a politician you will be. . .

It's all about mastering where you put your lightsaber!

Post 24

what you know as km

Oh, now that's not right, you've got to finish! What is it you'll be doing? And in front of which politician?

Ick...

Post 25

Ac-1D

Oh I think you have read that the wrong way around. I was trying to Yoda-fy what I was saying. I don't mean "before a politician, you will be...", I mean "before you will be a politician". I was ripping off Return of the Jedi for comic gratification (as opposed to Politico-sexual gratification!!).

Er... well, that's not really a very good one, is it?

Post 26

Majikthise

You can't apply boolean logic to human beings. And in any event, the only distinciton is booleanism is between zero and everything else - true can vary from the infinitly small fraction above zero, all the way to infinity.

The all-welshman paradox is easily un picked. If he is lying, then the only condition overturned is that "ALL welshman are liers" That doesn't mean ALL welshment are truthful, thus allowing him to lie about it.

If I were to give you a pile of marbles and say "all the marbles are green" they wouldn't all become blue just because one of them isn't green.

Now, if the individual, who happens to be welsh, had said

"I always lie"

that would be a good paradox, because there's only one entity involved.

Er... well, that's not really a very good one, is it?

Post 27

Ac-1D

Dammit Jim, I'm a Dr not a Philosopher! ! ! !

You put that very well. (But I only tell the truth to people whose work I really respect. . . . )

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more