This is the Message Centre for Mystrunner

I'm Ticked...

Post 1

Mystrunner

It really ticks me off, the way Christians get discriminated against some times. For example...

People are moving to replace the good ol' B.C. and A.D. divisions in time with these newfangled B.C.E. and C.E. That's rubbish! So you don't believe in Jesus? Okay then, if you're gonna remove that, you'll also have to do away with January (Janus), February (Februus), March (Martius/Mars), May (Maia), and June (Juno), all of which are named after gods. Gah! Why can't people just leave things that are working well enough alone?

Excuse my frustration, I just needed a good place to vent.

I'm Ticked...

Post 2

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I know how you feel, Mystrunner...

Have a look at http://www.frankfuredi.com/articles2005.shtml,
the one I have in mind is about the reaction to the Narnia film, my friend Ann sent it me.
Here's an extract, if you can't find it on the site.
"The intense and venomous attacks on the Disney-produced Narnia film are truly puzzling. The novelist Phillip Pullman has described CS Lewis' original book as 'one of the most ugly, poisonous things I have ever read'. With the zeal of a veteran cultural crusader Polly Toynbee of the UK Guardian cut straight to the chase: 'Narnia represents everything that is most hateful about religion.'

What Toynbee seems to find most hateful about religion is that it is able to express a powerful sense of faith. 'US born-agains are using the movie', she warned. Many critics seem especially outraged by this prospect of religious organisations 'using' the film to promote their faith. The advocacy group Media Transparency warns that the film is based on a book that has a 'frankly religious element' - which is not really surprising when you consider that the author was a well-known publicist for Christianity. What is surprising, however, is that Christians promoting Christian propaganda should invite such bitter condemnation."

It's a good article.

I'm Ticked...

Post 3

Rivkeh Yankee-Shoes... bashing about the BoE again

You know what, Mysty? Jesus said the world would hate us. Let's just make sure they hate us for love.

I'm Ticked...

Post 4

Nova Rift (Werecat/wolf, First Mate of Pirates, Captain of The white Defender, and a Jedi Padawan named Fr' Tel Powil)

Yeah keep a cool head and don't get too frustrated! We are too love others! We are to turn the other cheek when struck! So let us do that now in this crisis! Don't let them get to you as that is what their goal is. It is to get people to crack!

I'm Ticked...

Post 5

Mystrunner

Yeah, p'raps I'm not so much ticked as depressed. I accosted my room-mate on the issue, who's an athiest, and he couldn't come up with any argument that would stand on its own.

Narnia's a great movie, regardless of the Christian content. Love Lewis's writings, man what a talent. The Voyage of The Dawn Treader was one of my favorite easy reading books... that island where dreams come true was one of the most frightening things I've read. smiley - biggrin

I'm Ticked...

Post 6

My son went to see the Narnia movie, and was not impressed, but I'd like to see it for myself before I pass judgement.

I've just re-read 'The Last Battle', and a guy who works in the same building came to talk about it with me. Brilliant!

I'm Ticked...

Post 7

Jadeelf (And also Thrasymachus, the token dragon daemon)

I loved Narnia, but I found the bit at the end where Aslan was walking on the sand a bit cheesy and overdone.

Anyone ever read that poem, 'Footsteps in the Sand?' Yeah. It was my grandmum's favourite, so I know it quite well.

That's reallymy only complaint with the christian element of the film. Cheese = bad.

(I still love you, Mystie. You and your B.C.)

I'm Ticked...

Post 8

Mystrunner

*Beams.*

Thanks, Jade. smiley - biggrin

I'm Ticked...

Post 9

Skullock

Myst I understand your frustrating. I'm glad that you have it. Too many people are ready to just lay down and take a throddling for their beliefs. Sure we are to turn the other cheek, but not when it comes to our faith. God didn't give us the emotion of anger for no reason. There comes a time when we must turn over the tabels and stand up for God.

I'm Ticked...

Post 10

Skullock

Sorry, I meant to say I under stand your frustration. Just thought I'd clear that up before things got too far.

I'm Ticked...

Post 11

Nova Rift (Werecat/wolf, First Mate of Pirates, Captain of The white Defender, and a Jedi Padawan named Fr' Tel Powil)

hahaha skullock same as always, always screwing up something :D but yeah we cant just give up! let us continue strong as i said before!

I'm Ticked...

Post 12

Rivkeh Yankee-Shoes... bashing about the BoE again

Narnia was unsatisfying for me. The cheese element, the weak character development... if you didn't already love Aslan, it wasn't all that... "Oh cool, a lion. Oh, bummer, he's dead. Oh cool. He's back.".

But I dug the casting. And some of the effects.

eye heart tumnus.

I'm Ticked...

Post 13

My son said similar things about the movie, Rivkeh, especially about the cheese element.. But he didn't like the story either! He's rather a cynical person, and possibly 5 years older than the optimum audience...

I'm Ticked...

Post 14

Mystrunner

Yeah,a friend of mine said the same about the "Sacrifice - Dead - Alive thing. It was kinda... not very miraculous. smiley - erm

I'm Ticked...

Post 15

Pandora...Born Again Tart

smiley - cuddleMyst, I am living proof there is a God. (as are we all) Anyone not knowing what happened to me in the Spring of 2004 may ask ~ in brief: someone tried to kill me with more than four times the leathal dose of arsenic!
My dog was killed as was my best friend ~ in his own home. As I lay dying, the doctor already told me there was nothing to be done ... I not only saw my dead mother, I spoke to two nurses who told me they were angels ~ they glowed golden after telling me they thought I could handle it ~ but the truly amazing thing happened to a doctor I'd never met ... the chief of neurology ~
on my third morning waiting to 'cross the river', so to speak, this tall dark man awakened me just as daylight broke. He was shaken (not stirredsmiley - winkeye) and told me a long story about how well he sleeps at night, etc.......except the past two nights....he said he tossed & turned .....then, on the second night he awakened in the middle of the night to a voice (likely my Spirit Guide) telling him: you must save V_____F___ ....he demanded to know who was in his house! HA~! The voice said again, "You must try to save VF, there is someone important to the World she will heal." ....this man of science had never had an experience like this ..... he not only saved my life .....he paid my ENTIRE hospital bill(s)~! I was in hospital for over three months! And I'd never met the man before he woke me that morning in 2004. Howzzzzz that for proof something else is guiding us?? smiley - zen
Oh, for those thinking me nutzzzz .... I was given a TOTAL smiley - erm psychological work up. Everyone who goes through a near death ordeal gets one ......the shrink told my doctor she wished HER head was on a tightly as mine~! smiley - winkeye
I was paralyzed & told I'd NEVER walk again. Today I ran. smiley - diva
Hey, I say this all the time about Americans who want God out of everything:
stop using U.S. money.....it's loaded with: In God We Trust! smiley - tongueoutNo one EVER takes me up on that. smiley - peacedove

I'm Ticked...

Post 16

Hahahaha Pandora so true about the American money. I can't stand them all saying God sucks and we hate god but they "thank god" every day just walk down the street.

"oh thank god its you! I thought it was someone else!"

Yeah thats using hsi name in vain but hey your still using it!

I'm Ticked...

Post 17

or.....MY personal yuk-ism: TGIF ~ ...* now banging her head against the key board...*smiley - star

I'm Ticked...

Post 18

That's an amazing story, Pandora! I'm glad to hear you're okay now...

I'm Ticked...

Post 19

smiley - biggrinWhy thank you~! But I'm far from 'okay' now. I exercise between zero & three hours per day. smiley - bigeyes How I adore exercise~! smiley - yuksmiley - weirdsmiley - puffsmiley - biggrin

I'm Ticked...

Post 20

One to three hours a day, wow! It is just too hot and sticky here for that, as it has been for the last two weeks.

The weather is *never* right here..

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Mystrunner

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more