A Conversation for Asylum Seekers - Welcome to Hell!

Writing Workshop: A701939 - Asylum Seekers - Welcome to Hell!

Post 1

Dorothy Outta Kansas

Entry: Asylum Seekers - Welcome to Hell! - A701939
Author: Fenchurch the Honky Tonk Thumper <Zero Intolerance: A593796 > - U177893

Although written from a British viewpoint, this is relevant to many countries around the world which are beacons to seekers of refugee status.

Sadly, I couldn't find any details about Asylum Seekers on h2g2. Asylum Seekers are marginalised in Britain - let's not marginalise them in Cyberspace!

A701939 - Asylum Seekers - Welcome to Hell!

Post 2

Spiff

Hi Fenchurch, smiley - smiley

I read this and it is nicely written. smiley - ok I wonder what you are after in the WW.

I only have one specific comment on the text itself: Stable Accommodation sounds like the Xmas story all over again to me! I presume you don't wish to suggest that asylum seekers actually end up 'away in a manger, no crib for a bed'!

More generally, I think this is slightly politically weighted in favour of the asylum seeker. Fair enough, there the ones at the sharp end; but there is more to it than just wicked governments trying to spoil refugees chances of a new life, I think.

You mention in this thread the idea that Britain is a 'beacon' to asylum seekers worldwide, but don't go into this in the entry. Why are such regulations and controls necessary? What do asylum seekers *expect* to find in Britain? Where do these perceptions come from.

Of course, immigration, past, present and future, is a political minefield: I ain't no angel, but I fear to tread there anyway. (no trying to suggest you're one of those types who rush in! smiley - laugh).

I guess I feel some kind of intro would help to put the question of asylum seekers, refugees and immigration generally into perspective.

One point of interest is the camps that have been set up in France (one just outside Calais, not far from the entrance to the tunnel; and now a new one further along the coast, near Dieppe, I think). There have been all kinds of problems with these camps. Why don't these people try to go anywhere else? They are already in Europe, but they are specifically aiming to get to Britain. Why?

Just my thoughts,

seeya
spiff

Post 3

Fenny Reh Craeser <Zero Intolerance: A593796>

Hi Spliff - thanks for your comments! I'm at work, so I'm not working on it now, but I'll move it across to the PR sometime this evening.

I think I was hoping someone would come along and tell me it was written well enough for PR, so perhaps it was only in WW because I was fishing for compliments! Actually, I've never put anything through the review process, so I just wanted to make sure I didn't jump the gun.

I'll consider your comments while pretending to work, and fill it out somewhat in evenings to come!

x x Fenny (UT)

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Many of the refugees come to Ireland rather than Britain. It is because both the UK and Ireland are perceived as having a buoyant economy. This is certainly true in Ireland. So many refugees are arriving here that the Government was thinking of keeping them in ships parked just off the coast ("Flotels"). This proposal got hoots of derision from the Irish people.

Post 5

Dorothy Outta Kansas

...OK, how to I move this from Writer's Workshop?

x x Fenny (UT)

Post 6

Spiff

I think you get yourself into the WW page, look at the list of entries and on the right-hand side you should see the word 'remove' next to your entry.

Click 'remove' and follow instructions, then go to your entry again (probly via 'My Space'). Then you can click on the 'submit for review' button and choose PR instead of WW.

I think.

spiff

Post 7

Dorothy Outta Kansas

Done it! Thanks, Spliff!

x x Fenny (UT)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more