This is the Message Centre for Vip

Paranoia

Post 1

Vip

Do you think that I'm overreacting?

Yesterday I met up with a fellow ZZ9 member, with a view to getting a Leeds ZZ9 community going (as it's rather London based at the moment). We met in a public place and came up with a few ideas as well as talking quite a bit about the SF that we've read/seen yada yada yada. He plays board games too and I invited him over to play
Settlers with Richard and I at some point in the future. He mentioned that he had been asked by his friends to play Axis and Allies later that evening, but he wasn't that enthusiastic as he'd already played it recently.

Now, this all went well, we got on fine and have a slightly clearer plan of what we're going to do with our par of ZZ9. The only drawback was later that evening I received a text from him, saying:

"I'm playing Axis and Allies - miss you xx"

Now. He probably meant it; he'd rather've been talking SF crap with someone with a beer than playing a game he had little interest in. But... do you see where I'm coming from? Is it a little weird? Am I just paranoid??

smiley - fairy

Paranoia

Post 2

Pastey

It's a little weird.

But you could also be being a little paranoid.

Mind you, I'll go with the weird.

smiley - rose

Paranoia

Post 3

Mu Beta

I suggest you reply with something along the lines of:

"For future reference: if you want a woman, mentioning that you're a war-gamer is a major turn-off."

B

Paranoia

Post 4

Vip

Yes, I probably am being paranoid. But it is a very odd thing to say to a near-stranger. And having experienced the same thing with someone else only a few months ago my mind jumped to that conclusion very quickly.

Not all women find it a turn off. I've known at least... uh... one. smiley - winkeye Farscape, on the other hand... lots of females like Farscape. I can thing of at least... uh... three. smiley - blush

My response was to treat it as tongue in cheek, laugh (in-text), and then remind him that Settlers great. Fingers crossed that won't get misconstrued in any way, although I'm not sure how it could. At least this guy isn't a little kid.
It'll be good to play some games that aren't bridge, though. That has to be one of two things I've missed about Birmingham; gaming and the canal network. I think that's it though.

smiley - fairy

Paranoia

Post 5

Mu Beta

Becky & I are actually going through a big gaming phase. I can recommend Morat games (www.morat.net), because I write lots of reviews on his website.

If you ever find anyone who plays a lot of Memoir 44, let me know - Becky hates it.

B

Paranoia

Post 6

airinshaw

That is a little...weird.

If he was saying "I wish I was there doing blah instead, but to say "Miss you" in that way? Rather than like "Miss chatting about..."

Maybe keep an eye out. :D x

(Miss you! heh heh heh)

Paranoia

Post 7

Vip

I can understand a 'miss you!' from you. I might even half believe it. smiley - smooch But from a chap I met once in a pub? Bah. And with the random Xs at the end? I think he just fails at text communication, now I've thought about it some more.

Anyway, you up for a game of something next week? He's actually a nice guy, despite the way I've portrayed him here. smiley - winkeye Plus it could mean we could crash the sci-fi society too. smiley - biggrin

smiley - fairy

Paranoia

Post 8

airinshaw

Sure - I'm up for that. And I'll make sure to judge him purely on meeting and not his random missing of you. To be fair, you do rock so him missing you isn't all that weird! smiley - winkeye

See you laaaaaters!

Paranoia

Post 9

Nova Rift (Werecat/wolf, First Mate of Pirates, Captain of The white Defender, and a Jedi Padawan named Fr' Tel Powil)

I think you are looking at it differently than it is supposed to be interpreted. I mean I call a lot of my female aquintances love and beautiful out of habit, and I say miss you to a lot of my friends. It could also be his signature for his text messages that automatically adds on to the end of a text message. There are so many different ways to take it. I think maybe you should just roll with it and see where it goes. Maybe he really does miss you...

Just a couple of thoughts xD

Paranoia

Post 10

Vip

Oh, I fully expect to have misinterpreted it, but it's still odd.
I'll say that I miss my friends and so on too; but this chap isn't a friend. A potential friend, yes, but not full fledged I-miss-you territory.

Well, I guess I'll find out over the coming weeks. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Paranoia

Post 11

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

I have noone to game against up here smiley - sadface all my lovely boardgames are sitting around doing nowt but looking pretty at the moment.

smiley - cheers

Paranoia

Post 12

Vip

Which city do you live in?

smiley - fairy

Paranoia

Post 13

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

I don't , I live in a tiny village on the west coast of scotland which gets absolutely shocking weather...mostely sunshine and temperatures ranging from 17-30 C...I miss Brum

smiley - cheers

Paranoia

Post 14

Vip

You miss Birmingham? Gosh, it really must be awful! smiley - hug

smiley - fairy

Paranoia

Post 15

smiley - cross I happen to like Brum, a lot.

smiley - cheers

Paranoia

Post 16

Vip

Each to his own; some people to claim to like living in London!

I just don't like cities in general. I need to get out of them and be away from people and noise and cars and tarmac and houses. Birmingham was an unpleasant four years because, without a car, it takes about an hour to get anywhere remotely green enough for me. The perils of being brought up at the foot of the Berkshire Downs, eh. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Paranoia

Post 17

Here's several pics of the area I now live in

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/329/7/4/Lochaline_Hotel___Painting___by_tbfalsename.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/317/2/8/Ardtornish_and_Mull_by_tbfalsename.png
http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/317/1/5/That_Blues_Sound_by_tbfalsename.png
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/306/f/1/Across_toMull_From_Lochaline_by_tbfalsename.png
http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/235/b/6/Lochaline_Marina_by_tbfalsename.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/235/0/3/A_Violet_Sea_by_tbfalsename.jpg

smiley - cheers

Paranoia

Post 18

Vip

O-o-o-o-h. I'm sure the place has it's drawbacks, but smiley - wow. Awe inspiring.

Swap you? smiley - winkeye

*longs*

smiley - fairy

Paranoia

Post 19

airinshaw

Hey - did you text again last night? It's just that I was sure we hadn't selected a specific night for the bloke thing and tonight is the ONLY night this week that I have plans already! Please don't tell me I double-booked again? I really need to start writing things down...

Paranoia

Post 20

Vip

Right now? I can't remember anything. Seriously. My brain is mush. I remember picking the day on Monday (it was at bridge), but I don't remember telling you specifically (although I did send out a general text which I *thought* had you on it).

Gah. Looking at the screen hurts.

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post