A Conversation for "The Orchard" - the h2g2 Mac Users' Group!

Safari images

Post 1

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

hi everyone smiley - smiley

Safari pages that I have saved on my desktop have lost all their images (not all pages but most of them, even really old ones). This has happened before and Applecare troubleshot it for me but I can't remember what we did. I think it involved removing a safari file and restarting the computer. Or maybe downloading Safari again. Any ideas? Can't find anything at apple.com.

OS 10.4.11 Safari 3.1.2

Safari images

Post 2

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Oh, and Safari adds the extensions even though I've got the box ticked to hide the extension (so 'webarchive' gets added to every file name smiley - grr).

Safari images

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

On the first point, IIRC for each page you save there's also a folder with the images - you haven't been deleting those, have you?

On the second, I suspect that if you turned the extensions on you'd see them being called "...webarchive.html" - adding to the filename doesn't always constitute an "extension"...

Safari images

Post 4

>>On the first point, IIRC for each page you save there's also a folder with the images - you haven't been deleting those, have you?<<

Are you sure? I know Firefox does something like that, but I've never seen it in Safari. Basically I save pages as webarchives, and the usually have the images, but then something gets corrupted and they won't load. There is a solution by fiddling with safari files but I can't remember what it is.

'webarchive' is the extension. Eg if I save this page, "BBC - h2g2 - Post to a Conversation" is the file name without the extension, and "BBC - h2g2 - Post to a Conversation.webarchive" is the file name with the extension. What Safari is doing is calling the file the second if if I tick 'hide extension'. It shouldn't be doing that.

"BBC - h2g2 - Post to a Conversation.html" would be the file name if I was saving it as text source only.

Safari images

Post 5

Oh, and last time I fixed this, all the images returned even on old files, so I think it's about how Safari is operating on my mac (not how it's downloading).

Safari images

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

OK, I slouch corrected. smiley - blush I haven't used Safari "in anger" for a long time.

When your images reappeared, were you connected to the web? It's possible you were looking at archived text content but it was loading fresh copies of the images from the original URLs.

Safari images

Post 7

I often save pages to read when I am not online, so I notice then that the images are missing.

I've just realised that the pages have converted to html files, or what Safari calls 'page source'. That's even though I am selecting 'webarchive'. But it's using the extension webarchive instead of html.

And there is some sort of delay in the conversion because pages I save now are ok (albeit still with the extension visible when it shouldn't be), but later when I open them they've turned into html pages.

Safari images

Post 8

smiley - huhsmiley - weird

Safari images

Post 9

smiley - laugh

yeah, that's what I thought.

Safari images

Post 10

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

Hi kea

I'm not at home on the Mac but at W**k on a confounded PC running XP so forgive me if I get this wrong.

When you save the page is there an option to save as Web Page complete rather that Web Archive? I ask because it might make a difference.

t.

Safari images

Post 11

Hi turvey,

It's just Page Source or Web Archive (the default). Is there meant to be another option? That sounds familiar.

Safari images

Post 12

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

I'll have a look when I get in tonight.

Shouldn't you be asleep??

t.smiley - winkeye

Safari images

Post 13

I believe 3 1/2 hours did it smiley - winkeye

I downloaded a new safari. Didn't seem to make any difference smiley - erm Maybe I missed some files. I replaced the Safari folder in the Home Library folder, and the plist file. Didn't do anything with the cache though.

Safari images

Post 14

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Two things:

1. The button to hide the extension doesn't do what one would expect. It simply hides the extension *while typing* the file name in the "Save..." dialog. Once the icon is saved to a folder, you'll see the extension again - the Finder has it's own preference for hiding file names in folders and on the desktop.

2. Webarchives are supposed to have all of the image data stored within them, and they're sensitive to having the name changed. So if you removed the ".webarchive" from the name, that would mess things up. Try putting the ".webarchive" back at the end of the name if that's what happened.
smiley - dog

Safari images

Post 15

#1 sorted, thanks. Don't know how that got turned on smiley - erm

I'm not sure the second one applies though, as we're talking about hundreds of files most of which I haven't touched in ages.

Safari images

Post 16

Still haven't sorted this. It's also affecting images in Mail, and I.E. too sometimes. It's all rather inconsistent. Not to mention bloody annoying.

Any ideas?

Safari images

Post 17

I've just installed the new Safari 4 beta and I got my pictures back!

Safari images

Post 18

Kewl! smiley - cool

Key: Complain about this post

Safari images

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more