A Conversation for "The Orchard" - the h2g2 Mac Users' Group!

mac mail problems

Post 1

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
hi smiley - smiley

not me but my friend...
(i dont have mac mail up and running because i havent even read the directions yet)
he is not able to send email out of his mac mail thingie anymore...

it will either go to outbox and then when he tries to send it from there it wont send

or

it will try to send but never completes the send... the little circle thing just keeps going round and round...

so the thing is that we ran the mail doctor thing and
it made his free email provider's smtp thing red and
his internet provider's smtp thing 'connecting' but never finishing...
also.... there were some details but we didnt know what they meant

smiley - erm help?

mac mail problems

Post 2

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

Error messages are always useful. If you can find out what the error message said then that might help. Mine did that a few months ago when they started rolling out 'mobile me' but it soon sorted it's self out.

smiley - cheers

mac mail problems

Post 3

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
TB!! i hardly recognized you in your costume!! smiley - biggrin

there were no error messages.... just wont send...

"...soon sorted itself out."

how do you mean? this guy really needs to fix this help please?
maybe i am not describing this well?

smiley - cakesmiley - teasmiley - strawberries

mac mail problems

Post 4

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

My problem was at apple's end, I use apple for email, web site, and stuff. Once Apple had got their server fixed it was fine. All I can suggest is that your friend try a different app, temporarily, or webmail, if his email provider has that.

Without any kind of feedback from the computer I can't really make much of a guess at what's wrong.

smiley - cheers

mac mail problems

Post 5

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
okay... we still have the problem... will try to make it happen again... what i described and i will get back here with detailed description of what mail doc, or whatever its called, says...

i have a feeling he may have inadvertantly okayed something in mac mail preferences... or maybe when he composes off line it does something to the mac mail way of doing things...

thanks .... smiley - smiley

mac mail problems

Post 6

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Can he send emails?

mac mail problems

Post 7

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
no... thats the problem... he receives both from his free email account and from his internet provider email account but cannot send from either smiley - erm

mac mail problems

Post 8

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

His internet provider should have a web page that says what all the settings should be. It might give you the settings for thunderbird or outlook, but they're all the same - the only differences will be in the instructions about where to type the settings in. So find that page.

For sending mail, you need to change the setting for the "SMTP" or "outgoing" mail server. So look for that in the ISP's instructions. When you have that, we can tell you where it goes in Mac Mail, though it will help to know if this is Mac OS X 10.5, 10.4, 10.3 etc.
smiley - dog

mac mail problems

Post 9

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
k thanks am telling him about this... thanks smiley - smiley

mac mail problems

Post 10

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I don't understand how Mail could affect Mail AND webmail (which has nothing to do with your computer at all) smiley - erm

I've had problems sending mail when receiving is ok when I've used my laptop at other people's wifi. That's about making sure the outgoing server is set right (as already mentioned).

mac mail problems

Post 11

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

kea, if he's using the mail app to collate all his "webmail" messages, then when he replies it will try to send the reply through his default SMTP server.

mac mail problems

Post 12

Thanks Peet smiley - ok So he could still go online and send emails via webmail.

mac mail problems

Post 13

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Yup. smiley - geek

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more