A Conversation for "The Orchard" - the h2g2 Mac Users' Group!

RSS

Post 1

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I've been using Safari's built in reader for most RSS stuff. But I want to try Firefox for some because often there are links I want to open in a browser that has a decent flashblock (news sites mainly).

Trouble is I can't seem to find a FF RSS reader that is as good as the Safari one. I've tried the built in Live Bookmarks but as far as I can tell you have to check manually to see if there are any new feeds and it doesn't show the synopses. Those are both features I need.

Likewise I tried Sage and it doesn't seem very user friendly either. Surely the features that Safari has must be generally regarded as useful, so have I just not found the right reader yet, or does FF not have any good ones?

RSS

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

As of last may, this was the selection available: http://mashable.com/2007/05/26/rss-firefox-guide/

(There might be more now...)

RSS

Post 3

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Ok, I've tried a few of those out and they are very complicated compared to Safari smiley - erm It wasn't very obvious how to subscribe, and the help documents weren't much help either. I'll have another go during the week in case I'm missing something obvious.

RSS

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Most of them should automatically associate the little orange "RSS Feed" link with themselves, so clicking on it will subscribe you. But I have no idea how it will react if you have more than one feed reader registered on your system. (e.g. Safari...)

RSS

Post 5

Ok, thanks, got Newsfox to work now. Not as elegant as the Safari reader, but workable. Cheers.

Key: Complain about this post