This is the Message Centre for Hoovooloo

Internet dating.

Post 1

Hoovooloo

Last year, I was registered with an internet dating website. Successfully, as it goes. smiley - smiley

Anyway, before the successful bit, I did have contact of varying degrees of intimacy with a number of women. Some via email only, some in person, etc.

One of these ladies seemed oddly reticent about going on an actual date. We exchanged a few emails, had a few long telephone conversations, but it just never got anywhere. I wasn't particularly bothered - other irons in the fire and all that. Then one day I noticed her profile had gone, so I dropped her one last email saying something along the lines of "if you've found the one, well done, if you've just given up, fancy a drink?". I got no response.

At least, not immediately.

This morning - a full NINE MONTHS after sending my last mail to her - her reply turned up, having been sent last night. It was two words long. The first word began with f and ended in k, and the second word was "off". Which was nice, if a little terse...

So I answered. I thanked her for the chuckle it had given me, I said I was very glad I hadn't met her, and I sincerely wished her good luck in finding someone who could make her happy, or at least a bit less rude.

And thought little more of it. It's a sad fact that the majority of women on internet dating sites really are actually very rude and ignorant indeed, so this kind of thing didn't necessarily come as a surprise.

But then, development! An apologetic email! From a MAN! From a man identifying himself as her FIANCE! Oh, hang on, and another! This one from her! Priceless. Apparently they'd had a stupid argument which went too far, leading to him sending me an email from her account (how does that even happen?). They get married next week. I am not making this up.

Needless to say, I graciously accepted their apologies, thanked them for the laugh they'd both given me, and wished them the best for the future.

Sometimes I do think I must be the only sane person in the world.

SoRB

Internet dating.

Post 2

Vip

smiley - laugh

That's brilliant. Certainly make me chuckle, anyway.

smiley - fairy

Internet dating.

Post 3

Baron Grim

Same here smiley - laugh. Start building that inside-out house, you know the one... Call it "Outside the Asylum".

Internet dating.

Post 4

Vip

I'll paint the toothpick instructions on a sign for you...

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hoovooloo

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more