A Conversation for Gentiana : the Gentians

A656345 - Gentiana : the Gentians

Post 1

Wilfrid is 42 (1x7x3+0+21)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A656345

A rather interesting group of plants presented for your dissection smiley - smiley

Best regards as always,

Wilfrid

Post 2

Azara

Hi, Wilfrid!

This is another really good gardening entry - well done! I'm a little curious about where you say that G. pneumonanthe is Britain's sole wild Gentian - isn't Gentiana verna found in places like Teesdale? I wass looking it up fairly recently because it's one of the most distinctive arctic/alpine species in the Burren in County Clare (the subject of a recent entry of mine - http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A616754 )

As far as I remember, Teesdale and a couple of other areas in Britain have a similar flora to the Irish Burren, so I think you get G. verna there as well. I have to say that when you see it in the wild, the spring gentian somehow looks more impressive than any cultivated species!

Anyway, that's only a small point - overall I like the entry very much and I think it'll make a worthy addition to the Blasted Heath library, and of course to the Edited Guide.

Azara
smiley - rose

Post 3

Thank-you, Azara smiley - rose

The reference I found for G. verna gives the Dolomites as the native habitat. But the karst areas of the Burren and upper-Teesdale will be very similar environments and there's no reason why it shouldn't be native to all three. I shall do a little research on the matter. smiley - smiley

smiley - cheers

Wilfrid

Post 4

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Hi all smiley - smiley

Nothing wrong with this one!

If I only knew how to grow little 'p's such that they develop an 'i', a 'c' and finally a 'k', so I could harvest some 'picks' after a couple of days...

Post 5

Henry

Good stuff - in it should go!
Frogbit.

Thread Moved

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Gentiana : the Gentians'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Post 7

Azara

smiley - bubbly for Wilfrid!

Azara
smiley - rose

Congratulations!

Post 8

Henry

smiley - cheers Well done!

Congratulations!

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

yepp, smiley - cheers

Congratulations!

Post 10

A belated thank-you kindly smiley - cheers from darkest Africa

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gentiana : the Gentians

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more