This is the Message Centre for Lifson Kofie

Parental Consultation Evening

Post 1

Lifson Kofie

Yes, it's that time of term again. Just for the record here's how it went in order of occurence...

Photography:
What the teacher said:
Lifson is always there, gets the work done, and always has a different approach to things. Lifson produces some interesting and original work.

What my parents "heard":
Lifson is a proper freak and is going round photographing weird things in weird ways, but it's roughly in focus so it's not too bad.

Computing:
What the teacher said:
Lifson is always there, but programming is a little slow. But as long as you do put some work in at home, it will be okay. Also going into way too much detail - work on the overview more.

What my parents "heard":
Lifson is lounging around doing s** all during lessons, and will not have the project finished even if given the rest of eternity to work on it. Progrmming is in need of major help.

English Language and Literature:
What the teacher said:
Lifson has an outstanding essay for me, but as long as you have it in by the end of the week it's no big deal. Great debating work though, can't be faulted on that.

What my parents "heard":
Lifson does nothing but talk during lessons and never does any work. Homework situation is dire and severe monitoring is required.

Tutor:
What the teacher said:
Lifson did a great presentation. We required at least 10 min but Lifson managed to stretch to 20 by inciting some good debate. Lifson provided an interesting Powerpoint presentation and provided a 1 page handout. Will have to re-do the hand out as I've just found out that it needs to be 3 pages, but that won't be a major problem. Set realistic target for English essay.

What my parents "heard":
Handout was appauling and not enough work was put in to it. Presentation was padded out with waffle and too much work was put into the PowerPoint presentation. English is a major cause for concern.

How am I supposed to fight this!?!?!

Post 2

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

smiley - hug Parents can be hard to deal with sometimes, can't they!?? But generally, they only want what THEY think is best... and that's not always what YOU think is best... bleh....

Yes.... smiley - hug

Post 3

Lifson Kofie

smiley - hug I'll say! Then they give me a hard time for months afterwards. My younger brother (by 18 months - taller by 9 inches!) gets perfect reports all the time and it makes me smiley - steam when they compare us and our reports! smiley - blue

They want me to go to UMIST for Uni, and the course I want is run at Manchester Met. They don't want me to go there because it's supposedly not as good. I want to go there (or Salford - they do a cool web-design Multimedia type degree!) because the course suits myn needs better!

Give me your parents e-mail addy and *I'll* tell them it's the season of giving - but only if you'll do the same with mine!!! smiley - biggrin

Post 4

smiley - tongueout sounds like a plan, except... Dad would delete all foreign addies... and Mom never uses a computer!!!! smiley - tongueout

Parents only want the best... did I say this!??? Bleh.... anyway... it's hard living with them when you're trying to make your own life. They should appreciate that you DO want a higher education, and you've put forth effort in figuring out where is best for you. I'm very sorry... smiley - sadface

Post 5

Professor Werner Von Croy

I like your entry here Lifson, I really like the photography and the english ones, (what your parents "heard") that is, ha ha ha. And your not supposed to fight it just live with it! Hang in there!

Post 6

Choose your fights wisely... there does come a time when you have to submit, and there is a time when you must break free...

I would personally fight tooth and nail to get into the university of your choice-- it's your future, not yours. And you aren't trying to upset or hurt them.

smiley - hug

Post 7

Choose your fights wisely... there does come a time when you have to submit, and there is a time when you must break free...

I would personally fight tooth and nail to get into the university of your choice-- it's your future, not THEIRS. And you aren't trying to upset or hurt them.

smiley - hug heh.... I just got out of bed.... hee hee hee.... smiley - tongueout

Post 8

Lifson Kofie

I know. It's more a case of fighting now for my future. smiley - blue

smiley - cross If I don't do somehting now, I'm going to be walked on by my parents for the rest of my life, I'm going to be stuck in a University course I don't want to do, and I'll be stuck only being able to do jobs I don't want to do. I wasn't allowed to pick my own A-Levels (which didn't help with the whole Curriculum 2000 thing) and failed two of them (Maths & Physics), which I spent a year hating and my parents wouldn't sign the forms for me to transfer to something I had a chance at passing. Fortunately college wouldn't let me carry on with Maths&Physics this year so they were forced to let me do something else. But you have no idea how hard it was to get to do Photography - they kept saying "It's not a proper A-Level" and nearly wouldn't let me take it. smiley - steam

It's crazy - but I just suppose I have to keep in there and pushing on the things that matter.

Lifson

Post 9

Well... maybe you can write them a letter.... it's easier, often, then confronting them... of course, I tried that and it didn't really work.... hopefully you have more reasonable parents.

I told mine that if I don't get to go and do what my heart is set on right now, I'll either turn into a quivering, frightened creature around them, and not be able to speak to them(which is happening, since I was writing them....), or I will rebel and it will be ugly. And none of us want that, I told them....

Please try and take action, love. smiley - hug

Post 10

Lifson Kofie

You're right of course - I've got to do something. I'll try a letter, but my parents are pretty darned unreasonable. smiley - blue

For example, if my dad pauses at the end of a sentance and I jump in with a quick question, he'll shout that he was talking and I shouldn't be so rude, arrogant and unmannered as to interupt him, where as last night he (as he often does) interupted me, I carried on in my normal tone with just the words "I was talking then." and stopped. This then seemed to provoke a major tantrum (at 22:30!) with him shouting about how he won't be spoken to in that manner, and how I'm being disrespectful, and assigned me all the chores for the next month.

smiley - blueLike I say. You see what I'm up against?smiley - blue

Post 11

YUCK... and I thought MY parents were bad... smiley - crysmiley - cheerupsmiley - hug Poor Lifson... smiley - hug

Post 12

Post Team

Hi Lifson smiley - smiley

Having read your journal entry I shall just say that you should check out the Wowbagger cartoon this week for a different perspective on your problem. smiley - ok

shazz smiley - magic

Post 13

OOOO... cartoon time... smiley - winkeye

Post 14

Lifson Kofie

smiley - smiley Thanks! I liked that. Brightened up my day a little! smiley - star

I've just been grounded. smiley - blue I was in our LRC at college logged on to the computers from 11:30 till 14:30 yesterday. Apparently one of the librarians came and had a look for me, but missed me - and told my Dad I wasn't there. He later came up and looked himself apparently - but again missed me, which is strange, because I had one of the computers highly visible from the stairs, but with my back to them. smiley - grr

I'm now grounded for "not telling my parents where I was", and then for "lying about where I was" even though I was at college as I said I would be and was. smiley - steam Fortunately, I've got our Head IT Techie here to send my parents the computer logs for the day - highlighted to prove that I was logged on constantly from 11:30 till 14:30, and that the computer was in constant use. They should arrive at home in the post tomorrow.

smiley - blue...too much hassle...smiley - blue

Post 15

MY GOODNESS!!!! smiley - hug At least you DO have proof!!! smiley - crysmiley - hugsmiley - cheerup

Post 16

Post Team

Oh dear smiley - sadface

You really do have to find a way to sort all this trouble out. It really sounds as if your parents are completely trying to rule your life.

Do try to stick out for the course you want to do! Try pointing out that is a complete waste of time and money to force you into a career you really don't feel suited for.

On a brighter note, most uni's are happy for you to change courses if the one you are on is not working. The problems will arise if the one you're at doesn't offer the one you want I suppose.

It must be horrible to feel spied on like that.

I hope things improve for you before the holidays smiley - cheerup

shazz smiley - magicsmiley - holly

Post 17

smiley - hugsmiley - hugsmiley - hug Here, here, what she said!!!

Lifson, I know your parents, deep down, want to see you sucessful... It's a hard road trying to show them that they have a different opinion of what success is for you...

smiley - steam If they want to go to THAT uni, THEY should enroll in classes!!! TAKE THAT!!! smiley - nahnahsmiley - silly

smiley - hug

I feel for you, kid... smiley - hug Parents give you a lot in the world, and they just-- argh... they're a very stubborn blessing sometimes... I mean, where would you be without your parents!?? That doesn't mean you owe them your future, though... smiley - hug

Post 18

Lifson Kofie

My parents, who's own educations consist of (Mum) O-Level Woodwork, Geography and English, (Dad) GNVQ IT Advanced, have just embarked on their final year in an Information and Library Studies Degree at Brighton Uni. They are traiining to be the little people who sit glaring at you from behind the desk in your local public library whenever you think about touvching the books!!! smiley - grr

Also - I know what you are saying about successfulness. I don't want to run a big company or work for Micros**t or anything like that. I want to be a Website Designer/Programmer ("That's not a proper job!") or a Computer Programmer ("You're geeky enough as it is!") for a small company ("Small company-small wages!"). I think that working for a small company means less stress. My Mum's last job was working in Boots when she was 25, (she's now 41) and my Dad has been a Semi-Retired-Self-employed odd-job-man all his life.

smiley - steam I just want to get out and have a life! smiley - steam

On a happier - My boyfriend comes home from Uni tonight. smiley - smiley

Thanks all for your messages of support though! smiley - hug Thay are appreciated.

Post 19

YAY!!! BOYFRIENDS ARE THE BEST!!! smiley - hug YAY!!! That should make you feel better, love!!! smiley - hug

Post 20

Mary Loo (Please come and see my nuclear power page A693362 thanx

Only if you get to see your boyfriend though, eh? if your parents will let you?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Lifson Kofie

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more