This is the Message Centre for Fenchurch M. Mercury

Journal Entry

Post 1

Fenchurch M. Mercury

I find it interesting that people who aren't into this form of communication often say things like "You need to get out and see the world", when I think that the only way to actually "see", understand, etc. the world is to understand, or at least communicate with, people from around the world. While this place isn't the biggest mixture of cultures... it's just limited to the english- speaking middle/upper class, I think there's still so much that *they* know, and they're telling others, and others are telling others...
This is a sort of Babel fish... there are really no languages if you think about it... there is definitely no distance...
Some people think that this sort of communication is a bad thing. Maybe it's because I'm young, maybe it's cos I was raised on computers...but I think it's one of the most fascinating things ever.

Journal Entry

Post 2

Hypoman

Hi Fenchurch! Pleased to stop by and say hello at last! You've given me and others a lot of help.

What’s "this form of communication"? Are you talking about the medium or the message? Are you endorsing the idea that one is the other?

What is "this place"? You do talk about a lot of places, for someone who has been advised to "’get out and see the world’".

I like the idea that you should talk to as many people as possible, from as many places as possible, but I’m afraid that to really understand them and who they are, you’ll still have to understand the places they come from - and that means travelling, even if you only do it after you’ve established that the people who live where you want to go are good people!

"This" (and I’m taking a punt that you mean the Internet, or at least this sort of forum on the Internet) is a sort of Babel fish, and there really is only one language (rather than no languages) if you follow the ideas of Chomsky et al, and I suspect that I side with you in thinking that this sort of communication is not a bad thing, but I’m still a little confused about what you’re actually saying!

P.S. I like the page update, and thanks a lot for the tricks you’ve been showing me, among others!

Journal Entry

Post 3

Fenchurch M. Mercury

Hello, glad you finally said hi smiley - smiley. The page update isn't half complete, which is why it look a bit...incomplete.

I haven't been to many places, but I've still got gobs of time and plan to do so one day smiley - smiley

I really should better my communication skills, as not even I really know what I'm saying half of the time anyway, which is why I write it down... I can look over it later.. I think it's a good way to understand more about myself... This place, and this, was probably referring to one-on-one communication over the internet, any one-on-one telecommunication, really... here being h2g2 I think... I know what you mean by saying nothing can replace travel, but I've learned so much about other places and, almost as importantly, I think, what people from other places think about here... I think that stereotypes and sweeping generalisations are eradicated, not at large, but in individuals, which is very good. If anything, it encourages peopele to travel, which is why it upsets me when people say "get out more". It's just that the local -whatever- you've seen 50 times just doesn't seem as exciting as even reading about somewhere else.

Journal Entry

Post 4

Hypoman

Thanks for clearing that up (?).

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Fenchurch M. Mercury

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more