This is the Message Centre for Initech_guy

You are mortal

Post 1

Initech_guy

I've been thinking about this a lot lately - maybe its because I'm entering the last stages of my 'late twenties'. I'm going to die.

You are mortal

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I will only be in my 20s for a few more weeks, so I think I know how you feel!

smiley - mouse

You are mortal

Post 3

Initech_guy

Yeah its a powerful feeling. Three years ago, I felt invincible. I could take on anything. No matter what happened, or what I did, I could always assure myself that theres plenty of time in life to amend things. I can always go to grad school later, I can backpack across europe later, I can spend my time painting or drawing later..now it feels like I'm behind on things

You are mortal

Post 4

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hmmmm.... I think I felt that way about a lot of things a few years ago -- from about 25 to 28, maybe. Recently, I've really come to realize that there is absolutely no way I could ever do or accomplish all the things in my life that are important to me -- there wouldn't be enough time in 3 or 4 lifetimes, truthfully. And that it's really okay for me to slow down and really spend time enjoying the things I am doing, rather than always stressing over the things I haven't been able to get to yet.

One thing that really made a difference was about a year ago, when I was looking at a list of my "life goals". I was trying to figure out why it was that how I had prioritized things in that list was nothing like how I had tackled things in real life -- and it suddenly clicked that I what I *said* were the most important things to me, and what really were, were not necessarily the same things. Where I was actually choosing to spend my time said a lot about what I really valued, rather than what I thought I should (which is what was driving my list of goals).

I love writing -- but if writing was really the most important thing to me, I would have found time to finish that novel by now. The fact that I haven't is pretty clear proof that it wasn't as important to me as I thought it was -- which I wasn't so happy to discover, as it didn't quite jive with how I liked to think of myself. Now, I haven't given up writing -- no way, no how! -- but I've finally stopped beating myself up over not spending enough time on it. I've suddenly hit a point where I feel like it's okay if I want to spend a Sunday lounging on the sofa reading a book, or playing video games with a friend, and not doing anything "productive" or "goal-oriented". For the first time in my life, I really feel like just relaxing and enjoying myself is a worthwhile way to spend my time -- not that I didn't do it before, but I always felt like I was cheating or something, and felt guilty later.

Sorry for rambling on so long!

-- Mikey

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Initech_guy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more