A Conversation for Helleborus and the Hellebore Genus

Hellebores

Post 1

Also ran 1

Thank you so much for a most fascinating story of these lovely plants. I have just bought another one - and my dear gardening friend has planted it in the garden for me. I shall be reading all the extra information about it. I am intrigued with it's near relatives of which I have quite a few - including aconites and thalictrum. I was worried about getting the smelly one as I thought that in my patio garden it might be overpowering but perhaps not. Merci bien. AR

Hellebores

Post 2

Wilfrid is 42 (1x7x3+0+21)

H. foetidus, the 'stinking hellebore' is only smelly if you crush it, and then not very smelly smiley - smiley I grow it, and the only problem is its attractiveness to greenfly. The variety 'Westerflisk' is supposed to be very good.

One thing AR 1, I'm not sure hellebores would make good patio plants as they like shade, and you mustn't let their compost dry out. Mind you, I manage to keep a few Hostas alive on a sunny patio without a great deal of attention smiley - laugh

Hellebores

Post 3

Also ran 1

Dear Wilfrid (21x2), Thanks for your information about the "smelly" heelbores. Poor plant being named foetidus. I shall get one and not crush it. I also want to try and grow Hostas. They have been gobbled up in the garden - when I could still garden - and now I think that I shall put them in pots on the patio and protect them with some special mulch such as those small coloured aggregate(I think it is called). Actually I find that I have grown the most wonderful dahlias in my pots this year. Pots are generally at wheelchair height and I am able to disbud the dahlias, and tie the sweetpeas (which were a disaster this year!) and generally make myself useful. I have a super friend who helps me with the heavy work but I really do love my garden. I have had great fun planning the bulbs in my Spring garden and have even managed to get some Lilies of the Valley which I hope will flower. Thanks again. 'Bye. AR.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Helleborus and the Hellebore Genus

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more