A Conversation for Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

Erdos Numbers

Post 1

Solsbury

For a number of years mathematicians have been playing a similar game but using the hungarian mathematician Paul Erdos as the start point. A persons Erdos number is the number of academics linking person A with Erdos through co-authoring mathematical papers.
Erdos travelled a lot during his lifetime and published many mathematical papers.
There are currently 507 people with an Erdos number of 1 and 6127 with an Erdos number of 2
[URL removed by moderator]is the homepage of the Erdos number project.

Solsbury who has no Erdos number that he knows of.

Erdos Numbers

Post 2

Bagpuss

Methinks the number of people with an Erdos number of 1 is destined to remain constant.

Erdos Numbers

Post 3

Solsbury

Although Paul Erdos did indeed die a few years back (1996) papers where he is a co-author are still being published. So the number of people with an Erdos number of 1 isn't quite as constant as you might think smiley - winkeye
According to the Erdos number project homepage, he's got over 1500 papers published to jan 2001 (this is apparently the highest for any mathematician ever).

Erdos Numbers

Post 4

Bagpuss

Oh. I didn't know that. *grumble*

I knew he was pretty prolific, that's why he was chosen. He was also pretty weird.

Erdos Numbers

Post 5

Solsbury

The things you find fiddling round on the web smiley - winkeye

I wonder what the equivalent H2G2 thing would be (and if the community is large enough to make it a viable sample population).

Erdos Numbers

Post 6

Bagpuss

How do you mean? Linking people based on joint articles?

Erdos Numbers

Post 7

Decaf Silicon

Conversations as well? A conversation should require direct juxtaposition. By the by, it'd be helpful for this article to include the Six Degrees of Separation origin of the Kevin Bacon game -- this game arose from a theory, not out of the blue. _The Tipping Point_ by Malcolm Gladwell illuminates this, among other epidemiological phenomena.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more