This is the Message Centre for Spiff

Cassoulet - Editing

Post 1

The Apprentice

Hi there,

I'm working on your Cassoulet entry and wanted to run the current article past you before completing final tweaks and posting it off to the Editors.

You can find it here: A1920557

Feedback appreciated!

smiley - ok

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist

Cassoulet - Editing

Post 2

Spiff

Hiya, smiley - smiley

ta for letting me know - I will definitely have some feedback for you, hope to reply in full soon.

cya
spiff

Cassoulet - Editing

Post 3

Spiff

Hi Apprentice, smiley - smiley

hope it's not too late to suggest a few minor adjustments to your minor adjustments... ?

A few things that got moved around ended up not quite as i would wish.

back soon with the details, assuming i get some sign that you'll be able to amend them...

cya
spiff

ps, sorry this is rather tardy on my part, not been on-site much recently

Cassoulet - Editing

Post 4

The Apprentice

Well, you can send comments through, but the entry is in the queue for the front page in Pending status.

Quicker would be better...

smiley - biggrin

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist

Cassoulet - Editing

Post 5

Spiff

ok, sorry bout the lateness.

One general problem is that I knocked it off pretty rapidly, and now find that the variations may not be quite right. sorry. smiley - sadface

I also didn't like some of the links you have included. Some of them don't seem particularly helpful. smiley - sadface

smiley - ufo

I didn't like the link to the Supermarkets entry much. smiley - sadface Praps better would be the edited entry on 'Food shopping in France' - A653249.

The link you've got for beans is on 'Preparing the vegetables' for a Xmas dinner project... doesn't seem to add anything to this piece.

I suppose the 'sausage' entry is not so bad.

The 'chicken' link is all about catching and killing your own...

Similarly the 'duck' link is a recipe for cooking duck. Doesn't actually apply to this cassoulet entry.

smiley - ufo

I'm not keen on, "Indeed the variation in meat content may be as regional as the original recipe was," and in fact I think that sentence should now run:

"The essential meat element is the preserved duck[footnote 2], traditionally combined with pork and sausage, though lamb, chicken, goose or even partridge may be added for variety."

smiley - ufo

The first of the three traditional variants should include 'duck', too, so:

>>Cassoulet de Castelnaudary - the basic 'beans with duck and pork' dish.<<

and the third one:

>>Cassoulet de Toulouse - a richer dish, like the Carcassonne variety, but also including preserved goose (south-west France's regional specialty).<<

smiley - ufo

A small point, I know, but whilst i'm at it, in the 'Preparation' section, I prefer:

>>the sauce will usually include some chopped tomatoes, the inevitable garlic and onions, [NO AND] various seasonings plus ANY optional extras, such as chopped carrots.
<<

to

>>the sauce will usually include some chopped tomatoes, the inevitable garlic and onions, and various seasonings plus optional extras, such as chopped carrots.
<<

smiley - ufo

I like the way you've turned the middle paragraph into a sort of recipe. smiley - ok

Just one gripe;

>>to completely immerse all the beans<<

I'd prefer "completely to immerse".

Yes, I'm an infinitive pedant! smiley - yikessmiley - winkeye I just think it reads better that way.

smiley - ufo

Well, sorry this is coming to you late, and no doubt you felt you'd finished with this entry, but if you could make those changes (or let me know if you *really* don't think they should be as i've suggested, smiley - smiley), I'd appreciate it.

cya
spiff

Cassoulet - Editing

Post 6

The Apprentice

Sorry I didn't manage to get those editing notes in before the entry hit the front page. A lesson learnt - speed is of the essence cause you can never tell when those Editors are going to step up a gear and start dumping your entries on the front page.

Still, you got a nice soupy picture...

Soupy Twist,

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Spiff

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more