This is the Message Centre for Maverick

The Ultimatum

Post 1

Maverick

So, finally there was the ultimatum. Why wasn't I surprised? Because right from the beginning it was obvious, no amount of diplomacy was going to drive some sense into George Bush. There was no way he was going to listen to anyone that talked mature and wise. For here was an immature kid who had gotten into his head that he wanted to attack Iraq and stubbornly stuck to it - pretty well knowing that he had no justifiable reason. In all this months since the campaign started to build up against Iraq did Bush ever offer any tenable theory for this war? Ya, sure, we have heard of all those statements saying we have proof! Where exactly is the proof that was reasonable and acceptable to a large majority of the world? I am not even going to ask what gives Bush the right to go about "policing" the world. If there were a tangible evidence for doing so, I am sure there would have been a lot more support to the whole affair. Weapons of mass destruction? Well, in this day and age who doesn't have them? And don't tell me America has no such weapons! The amassing of the same was started by the same country Bush rules now way back in the 1940s. And today, one man - who is stubborn and immature and childish - is ordering the massacre of millions of people. And turning a deaf ear to the voices of millions of protestors across the world. Bush thinks it is his responsibility to "eradicate evil" from the world; but where is the well-founded reason for targetting someone in this manner. I don't necessarily condone Saddam or all his atrocities; but then, I don't necessarily think this is fair either. You don't take decisions that affect millions of people because of your whims and fancies. And that is what Bush is doing. And that is what scares me the most - that the most powerful nation in the world is ruled by such an imbecile, thereby making him the most powerful man in this world.
Bush talks of war crimes - and he goes ahead and uses depleted uranium in all those missiles/bombs he has deployed against Iraq; the result would be millions affected by leukemia or other forms of cancer in a couple of years from now. Millions suffering because of one man's senseless obsession - Will Bush ever be tried for war crimes?
To be honest, I am very irked by the Indian government's stand on the whole issue? Why isn't Vajpayee taking a more strong stand against the war? Because he doesn't want to anger the US, and thereby lose its goodwill. Ultimately, all this is about being extremely selfish, as the Indian government is being right now. This isn't about driving Saddam out of Iraq; this isn't about teaching a dictator that one has to pay for one's crimes. This is about pure economics - and that, to me, is even more saddening.

Key: Complain about this post

The Ultimatum

More Conversations for Maverick

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more