This is the Message Centre for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Little fish's leavers assembly

Post 1

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

My gosh - doesn't time fly. Today, little smiley - fish has his leavers' assembly - OK he doesn't actually finish school until tomorrow, but the leavers' assembly was today. It was lovely; I cried. smiley - wah

They did a kind of review, with excerpts from the Christmas play, Bugsy Malone. Little smiley - fish did two solo bits, including leading the school's army-style call-and-response song.smiley - magic It was at this point that quite a few parents started taking their handkerchiefs out and dabbing at their eyes. I didn't do that until the last song - one of Queen's - 'Don't Stop me Now'. They also had poetry, cello playing, paintings, and automata. The kids were absolutely brilliant! At the end little smiley - fish cried and all the kids started writing messages on each others shirts, blouses and polo shirts.

They had a leavers disco in the evening and little smiley - fish was allowed to come home on his own, so he's been late to bed.

Aahh!

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 2

frenchbean

How wonderful, ZSF smiley - biggrin Despite the tears, it'll be one of those cherished memories that you share. And I guess it marks a big step for little smiley - fish

Thank you for sharing it in your journal smiley - hug

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

What age is Little smiley - fish? My daughter Iz has also just left primary school and will start in secondary in September. She'll be 13 in September.

Post 4

Ladye_Seagull

I was going to write something here but I got the 'unknown hiker' thing coming up and have forgotten what I was going to write.

(Probably because I have moved to a different area)

Anyway, this is the gist of it.

Starting at secondary school is always a big step.

Are they looking forward to it?

Post 5

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi Gnomon.smiley - smiley Little smiley - fish is 11. He'll be starting secondary school in September on his birthday. I didn't realise that Iz was 13. Seems children start secondary school a bit later in Ireland. What age do they start primary school?

Yes, Ladye_S - he is looking forward to it, but he's also quite anxious that he might not fit in or make friends easily. I'm sure he'll be fine - he is a friendly child. There will be plenty of support for him from the staff too.

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

They start primary school at 4 or 5. They do 8 years in primary school.

Post 7

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

When do they formally start to learn reading and writing, Gnomon?

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

They start reading in their first year in primary school at 4 or 5, but daughter El learned in Montessori before that, and read a 96-page Roald Dahl book when she was only 4 years and 3 months old. She hasn't stopped since.

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

smiley - wow Well done El! What a smiley - star!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more