This is the Message Centre for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Firewalking

Post 1

night-eyes

Hi Zarquon's Singing Fish! smiley - smiley

I just read your entry on the firewalking. I thought it was quite interesting! I didn't know they have this tradition in so many places. Or that there are schools where you can go and try to learn itsmiley - winkeye

But may I add something? Firewalking is also very typical tradition for certain regions of Bulgaria. The people that practise it are called nestinari (pl.) and are usually women. The fire dancing (in this case) is a kind of religious ritual. The women are dressed up in traditional costumes and dance on the hot coals while holding icons of certain Orthodox saints.
Well, may be that's not that different from the tradition in the other countries you mentioned in your article but I thought it might be interesting for you to know something moresmiley - smiley
smiley - cheers

Firewalking

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi night-eyes! - I've been away on a course for a few days, so I've just seen your e-mail. I did my firewalk about 10 years ago now - with Stuart Wilde. I"ll reply in greater detail later - just about to do some exercise.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Firewalking

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi again - I haven't done any work on my Firewalking entry for quite some time. I certainly don't consider it finished. I'd never heard of nestinari - have you seen them? I found a couple of links, eg http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/dancing-on-fire/id_7496/catid_47 adn http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/fire-of-devotion/id_10948/catid_47 (this one has a picture) - which give some details.

The course I did lasted an evening and a full day. We did preparatory stuff, learning about the nature of pain, how to savour the moment and the technicalities of walking on fire - it's about having the right rhythmn and not turning back. We were told that the first time, we wouldn't feel anything until we got across, as our minds would already be at the other side - and this was true - well, until I noticed I wasn't feeling anything and then I felt an intense burning sensation in my right foot. The second time, it was warm the whole time across - no burning sensation this time.

Firewalking

Post 4

night-eyes

Hi there! Hope your course was nice smiley - smiley
No I haven't seen any nestinari dances. Shameful really! smiley - erm
And you have actually done it yourself??? I am really impressed! I don't think I'll ever dare to try. But I'd very much like to see it. I know that in Bulgaria they sometimes perform in restaurants for example, as a for of entertainment.. But somehow this does not appeal to me! Too commercial for my taste!
I'd very much like to go to see the authentic festivals though! It's sad, really, that only older people now-a-days follow the tradition and try to preserve the skills. Nestinari might be on the way of extinction...

Firewalking

Post 5

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, I did it. I knew it was technically possible and I'd remembered a radio programme explaining that it was like holding a paper water bomb over a flame - the cold water circulates away from the heat source, bringing fresh cold water in contact with it, so the paper doesn't get burned. As there were about 120 people there, there was pressure to do the walk - I'm just glad I wasn't first! In the end, most people walked (although I remember one woman coming down in tights and she walked it on the second try, with Stuart Wilde walking alongside her for support. She got a huge round of applause (well each person who walked got a rhythmic clapping to support them on their walk, but she got extra clapping for her bravery in overcoming her fears).

Yes, it's a shame really, when thing like this, which have a spiritual intent, are perverted by using them for tourist gratification. Are the true Nestinari dying out, then?

smiley - fishO/~

Firewalking

Post 6

night-eyes

Well you know, it's the typical small village problem - young people moving out, only the old ones left to keep up the tradition... May be grand children coming to spent summer vacation. But how many of them would actually be interested to take up firewalking?
I think this custom has never been very common to start with. Not that many brave people like you I guesssmiley - smiley
And also a woman able to walk on fire was said to be a bad match - it was told that she would bring bad luck in the house. So the nestinraki (female pl.) seldom married. And I guess with this kind of future awaiting them not many new girls wanted to followsmiley - smiley Only the "true beleivers".

Firewalking

Post 7

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

'And also a woman able to walk on fire was said to be a bad match - it was told that she would bring bad luck in the house.' Sounds about right - but it's probably more about the strength of will and the spiritual discipline. As I remember, there is a tradition in India (can't remember what or where) that chooses a young girl who is treated as a God - until she reaches puberty and the onset of menses - when she is ejected. No-one will marry an ex-godd(ess) and so the women tend to become prostitutes. As a result, parents are less happy about their child being the 'chosen one'.

Firewalking

Post 8

night-eyes

I know what you mean! It must have been very treating for a guy to take up a woman he could not "control". Imagine - your wife is actually able to walk on fire or commune with the gods - how can you possibly tell her to do the house work smiley - biggrin

Firewalking

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

smiley - laugh It's probably more to do with the 'sacred' nature of the woman. Many religious traditions believe in the old Shaker saying 'Hands to work, hearts to God', so they're not afraid of hard work.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more