A Conversation for Live Action Role-Play

LA v RP

Post 1

Lewis

I read your article, as far as it goes, with interest. I've done a lot of table top, and quite a lot of LARPing, even going back as far as Peckforton.

IME there is a distinct difference in styles that you can find, even within the genres. There are games (and events) which are more Live Action, emphasis on fighting etc. than on character actions and motives, and events and systems which veer to the opposite extreme, hardly ever any fighting, but lots of character acting.

Each has its place. I enjoy running around and hitting things a lot, which is in the LA end of the market, but I also enjoy events at which there is almost never a fight, because it is inappropriate for the characters to fight, which is definitely in the RP end of the market.

Again IME these styles of game are independent of genre. Eleventh Hour is a low-fantasy pseudo-early Medieval roleplay game, with lots of emphasis on the roleplay, whilst Quest, Treasure Trap etc. are higher fantasy hack-and-slash games. Actually any system which lets me at 6'4" play a dwarf has to be really high fantasy, regardless of the rest of the genre!

Lewis.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more