A Conversation for Scottish Researchers Group

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 1

onewildflower

HEllo everyone!smiley - kiss I am knew to this sight and I am researching the Kirkwall Ba. I have read the history and such that has been published online but I'm looking to talk to someone who has been or has particpated...Anyone Uppies or Doonies out there with a story to tell??..or maybe you know someone...oh and by the way...
What the heck is Towel Day???
Cheers!smiley - cheers

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 2

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Welcome to h2g2! smiley - biggrin Can't say I could help you out with the Kirkwall Ba but I can help you out with Towel Day. 11 May is when Douglas Adams died so every year the SRG (that's us) celebrates the life of the great man on the closest Saturday to the 11th. Are you Scottish by any chance? smiley - cheers

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 3

onewildflower

ok...yes I am scottish,even play the bagpipes...smiley - blush now...pardon my ignorance on this topic but who is this Adams fellow and what is the the point of the towel?smiley - erm

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 4

Oh dear...smiley - yikes

Have you never heard of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Douglas Adams created it y'see. The Guide is a book full of articles about life, the universe and everything and this site is the Earth edition if you like. People come along to write articles about pretty much anything they like and there's a healthy community who like to celebrate Douglas's work. The towel thing refers to it being one of the most useful things you can have and a good researcher always has their towel with them smiley - smiley

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 5

onewildflower

Oh...that douglas adams..oops...blonde moment..and i can see how a towel could be..usefulsmiley - biggrin

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 6

smiley - winkeye

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 7

typo01

Aye.

the smiley - towel will help clean the clart aff ye subsequent to a good game smiley - laugh

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 8

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

What's a Ba?

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 9

Demon Drawer

Ba as in fitba (English translation Football smiley - football) The Kirkwall one is one of the traditional games which is held by a village through the toon (Trans: town) with goalposts set up at either end.

Of course the tradition dates before the formulation of association football rules so there's no need to worry about the complexities of the offside rule. smiley - winkeye

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 10

typo01

It's a round thing ye kick

Ba-heid smiley - winkeye

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 11

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Oh great, Call My Bluff!

A "ba" is the noise made by smiley - sheep in Aberdeen. Normally sheep go "Baaaaaa!" but for obvious reasons the northern sheep likes to keep as quiet as possible, hence "Ba".

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 12

swl

smiley - laughThe good Dr errs towards humour methinks.smiley - winkeye

A Ba is an Orkney wise man, or a sage. Also called a seer, Ba's are consulted for advice on everything from the best time to plant crops to names for babies. It is considered incredibly unlucky to ignore the advice the Ba gives, hence the expression "Heed the Ba".

The Kirkwall Ba

Post 13

invincibledriver

Nonononono! A 'Ba' properly pronouced as 'baw', is a young lady from the northern isles who has yet to consummate the marriage.... hence the expression "stoat yer ba"

Key: Complain about this post