This is the Message Centre for David Conway

19 July, 2003 - Quotation of the day

Post 1

David Conway

There are at least two kinds of cowards. One kind always lives with himself, afraid to face the world. The other kind lives with the world, afraid to face himself.

Roscoe Snowden

Post 2

Symphony

Thanks you guys.

*hugz*

Shanna, for Symphony

Post 3

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Interesting to ponder, good food for thoughtsmiley - biggrin
smiley - disco

Post 4

Interesting, good food for thoughtsmiley - biggrin
smiley - disco

Post 5

David Conway

Shanna,

You're welcome. Didn't have yous in mind when we posted it here, it just struck us as a an accurate statement, in a general kind of way.

abbi,

Isn't it just? Thinking about it that way, just about everyone is either one sort of coward or the other and some are both. Those who are neither are few and far between, and richly deserving of deep respect.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at my unedited entry "John's thoughts on cowardice." I think you'll appreciate it.

Post 6

Thanks, I will go read that!

We are all cowards and heros at some moments in our lives. You cannot be either without the presence of others. You can be both at once in some large arenas.

We are not always the one to objectively see it.
The things I have confessed to have taken me great courage to do are the things others thought I sailed though. Some of the easiest tasks to me ,are the very ones others think ~ OMG what courage! smiley - winkeye

Another way to connect us is by our individual inner warts & wars. I sure hope we begin to use those differences to balance us filling in the gaps , rather than abuse them pointing and laughing, remaining unbalanced and feeling there is an abyss at every turnsmiley - earth
smiley - disco

Post 7

From h2g2: A675713 John's thoughts on cowardice (Dec 30, 2001)
I cannot get teh link to work yet. I posted it for chacking later and in case anyone else is interested.
smiley - disco

Post 8

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

I think you are right about the cowards and heros bit ... but I also think we also play other roles in life too

as Shakespeare said the world is a stage and we are all players in it or something like that

what one person sees isn`t the same for many others who witness the same thing

Post 9

David Conway

I'm not sure why you're having trouble with the link. Must be either the hootoo servers or a bad computer connection. I just revisited it and got there without a problem, smiley - erm

Post 10

I made it and posted theresmiley - okIt worked when I used this page as the link.
smiley - disco

Post 11

Jules

Hi 'O'

I read not only this entry but also your discussion with Monsey, that i think were linked from your 'thoughts on cowardice'...... i found it all most interesting and i wasn't scared off either.

I think you're very hard on yourself, often people who are 'driven' are hard on those who are not!! However a certain amount of drive and pushing if you do not have it is appropriate but not to the point of the torture it appears to have put you through. For this reason i don't believe you are a coward, your lack of self confidence and self appreciation is something that is not in line with the comments about those who say they are not good at anything, yet obvously are and enjoy it .......... that too really annoys me (bit like thin slimmers really).

Sometimes it's ok not to look too deep ..... it can end in so much introspection that it's depressing......... having suffered from depression i speak from experience!! We won't go there!!

We all need courage to live with the person we are and to live in the world we exist in ......... you have that courage and the courage to explore it, it seems.

I do hope that i haven't been too personal in this mail and it has in no way upset or offended you but i felt the need to tell you not to be scared of yourself or to judge yourself to harshly.

Good luck to all of you

Jules xx

Post 12

Jules

Hi 'O'

Sorry i spelt 'Monsy' wrongly, also i forgot to say i think you're dam good at writing these entries ..............

Just offering friendly stuff not judgemental or interfering, so i hope you just take it as it was meant.

Jules xx

Post 13

David Conway

Hey there, Jules.

Good to hear that the concept of multiple person isn't too different for you to wrap your brain around.

Yeah, I was pretty hard on myself. I don't feel that bad about not being able to keep up, onaccounta I never quit trying and moving forward.

And yeah, I know that I'm good at some stuff and that I'm no good at all at some other stuff, so I do the stuff I'm good at and try to get better at the stuff I'm not, by doing some of that, too.

I don't have a problem with not looking too deep inside sometimes. I just don't trust anyone who's afraid to ever look deep inside. What are they afraid of? Remember, I wrote that thing about a year and a half ago. I hope to H*ll I've grown a bit since them. If I haven't, I've been backsliding, and that wouldn't be any good at all.

Don't worry about getting to personal. I mean, I put the thing up in a public place, right? And if you're gonna upset or offend me, you're gonna have to work on it a *whole* lot harder than that!

John

Post 14

Jules

Hi John,

How nice to have a name to respond to.

By you're reply and those other piece's of yours i've read, you seem a pretty together guy to me!!

Right you put it in a public place but i would guess at a time at which you were feeling vunerable ......... hence the hesitation at venturing over those lines .........

Not looking too deep ......... hmmm, well sometimes i do, and sometimes it scares the hell out of me!! What am i afraid of by looking too deep, well finding something i don't like that puts me on the road to self-depreciation. Perhaps that doesn't make a lot of sense to you and maybe you understand it, that was the reason for saying it was ok not to. Having said that i too think it has its place and you have to do that to move on and to grow.

Glad you try the things you're not good at too, to call in an old saying ....... 'practice makes perfect', well not always but we can try and get better at what we're not good at and you seem to have put that into practice ........... good luck my friend!!

I look forward to further conversations with you.

Jules xx

Post 15

David Conway

Hi Jules.

Finding something inside yourself that you don't like can do a couple of things. It can put you on the road to self-depreciation, like you said, or it can put you on the road to self-improvement. I mean, you find it... you say "Yuck! I have *that?* From there, you can either decide *that* is just a part of you and think less of yourself or you can keep digging. I mean, if you've got *that,* wouldn't you wnat to know why you have *that.* How the h*ll did *that* get there, anyhow? Once you've done that, you can do a couple of things. You can either decide that you still don't like it, but it's part of you so you're gonna have to live with it or you can decide that you're gonna make an effort to get rid if it, change it from part of who you are to something that's not you. The biggest problem comes in, for me, when I find something about me that I don't like and try to get rid of it without understanding how and why it got there. You've gotta know if you're dealing with a symptom or a disease. getting rid of a symptom is just a temporary measure if the cause is still there. In fact, it usually backfires, because the symptom comes back in a bigger, badder, more obvious way, So, it ain't enough to look at what. I've gotta look at why, too.

Take care of yourself, Jules, and feel free to email me. The address is on the U space.

John

Key: Complain about this post