This is the Message Centre for minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

Using my white cane.

Post 1

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

So as many of you will know, my sight is getting worse. Slowly, but still I need to start planning for when it does eventually go.

For this reason I have actually somewhat reluctantly started using my white cane. This for me is a big step. I have imposed rules on myself as to when I MUST use it. If it is dark outside and i am either alone, or with anyone other than S, then i MUST use it, no if's but's or maybe's. (i haven't decided yet about if it is dark and I am with S)

If I am in a place other than Dundee, Glasgow or Dunoon or I am in an unfarmiliar part of any of these, and it is Daylight OR Dark I MUST use it.

I'm still not sure about using it in familiar places in the daytime, or about using it inside shops etc.

It's a learning curve of sorts, and I am still going to ask the Dundee Blind and Partially Sighted society for a refresher course in using it, because i'm sure i'm doing things wrong.

So as from now on, these are the rules I MUST stick to, for my own safety, and so others know too.

Fun tines.

minismiley - mouse

Using my white cane.

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

smiley - hug They sound like very sensible rules.

Using my white cane.

Post 3

Witty Moniker

Atta girl.smiley - ok

Get that refresher course right away. You don't want to reinforce bad habits.

Using my white cane.

Post 4

Agapanthus

smiley - hug

Using my white cane.

Post 5

A very sensible approach, Minismiley - cheesesmiley - mouse.

Using my white cane.

Post 6

ITIWBS

...to amplify echolation effect, close eyes a second or so before tapping, keep them closed for a second or so after...

This eliminates competing visual information and frees up the visual cortex to image from the echo, a perception of gray on gray silhouettes.

Using my white cane.

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I catch myself using the cane incorrectly sometimes... and tell myself off when I notice smiley - snork Mind, a white cane has many uses.... its quite good to itch those hard to reach places on your back.... and attaching a duster to the end, is good to reach up to the corners in the stair-wells, to get the cob webs down... smiley - snorksmiley - zen

I take it that this is a long cane, not a guide cane or symbol cane? smiley - zen Just don't do anythign with it you've seen me do, and then you can't be going too far wrong smiley - snork

Definately get a refresher from the appropiate people though... they may want to check you've the right sized and type of cane... I keep changing my mind between the one with the roller tip, and the ordinary tip one... I generally use the old one with the ordinary tip, mainly as it is lighter... but I think you can get the carbon fibre ones now with the roller tips, so they won't be quite as heavy smiley - zen I've a odd collection of beaten up old canes in the hallway nowday smiley - snork and just the one decent one that I use when travelling any actual distance... heck I could probably get to the shop where I get my cigarettes and bits without a cane at all, I've done it so many millions of times and I don't even need to cross the road smiley - doh

Mind... I was a bit shocked at the resounding 'no' I got from the person who does my mobillity training when I told her my idea of getting a cike to ride smiley - snork ... smiley - laughsmiley - zen

Using my white cane.

Post 8

Superfrenchie

smiley - hug That sounds very sensible, Mini. smiley - ok

Using my white cane.

Post 9

Yes 2legs, it's a Long Cane, the one You keep stealing at meets smiley - winkeye

I went to speak to the woman today, but she was in a meeting, so is going to phone me hopefully tomorrow, instead of today while I'm in class.

Class today 3-5pm, and it will be dark at 5pm, suppose I had better put my cane in my backpack. No if's but's or maybe's, i have to stick to the rules.

minismiley - mouse

Using my white cane.

Post 10

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Ho yus stick to those rules.

I keep telling hubby to something similar, but he's a stubborn buggar. smiley - winkeye

Using my white cane.

Post 11

Phil

No ifs, no buts my friend Minismiley - cheesesmiley - mouse
I really should carry a small bag of medical stuff for my condition, you should do what yours needs. Unfortunately that means a cane, not just for you but so others can see and make sure when needed they're not in your way.
Like many have said, the refresher sounds like a great idea if you can get on one.

Stay safe my little friend smiley - hug

Using my white cane.

Post 12

ITIWBS

...myself, I usually use a bolo machete for that hard to reach place in the middle of the back...smiley - tongueout

Using my white cane.

Post 13

Titania (gone for lunch)

Well done Mini for setting rules and sticking to them smiley - hug

Using my white cane.

Post 14

Well today I have tracked down the err mobility training woman from the Dundee Blind and Partially Sighted Society, and we are going for some refresher training this Thursday, and again Next Thursday. So I should be all up to date and stuff in Plenty of time for Manchester.

And in the meantime, I still needs to use my cane in the dark especially if i'm alone.

minismiley - mouse

Key: Complain about this post