A Conversation for AS Exams

The Big Debate

Post 21

bbtommy

Searching, you may be good at. But your grammar and spelling do need a recheck. "Txtspk" sucks so much bumcrust it's unbelievable.

The Big Debate

Post 22

Pete, never to have a time-specific nick again (Keeper of Disambiguating Semicolons) - Born in the Year of the Lab Rat

Today I spotted an article on BBC News 24 about the Department of Education (IIRC) considering replacing the (in my opinion) well-intentioned but, in practice, completely impractical AS level system with the International Baccalaureate. There's also a story in the Sunday Times about a headteachers' association working to come up with a "British Bacc".

Don't know about other people, but I feel this is absolutely the right way to go. The AS level system was supposed to be modelled on the Baccalaureate anyway. I feel that trying to make a compromise between the let's-let-everybody-choose-their-own-way-in-life approach of A levels and let's-make-sure-everybody-can-spell-and-count mentality of the Bacc (yes, I know those are gross generalisations) was doomed to failure, for logistical, social and psychological reasons.

In short:

a) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
b) If it *is* broke, fix it, but
c) If somebody else already has a fix, don't waste time and risk disaster by being proud enough to invent your own fix.

-- Pete, born in 1984, the Chinese Year of the Lab Rat.

The Big Debate

Post 23

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

my mate did the international bacc. & she appeared to enjoy it as much as everyone else.
personally i didnt mind ASs, I knew ages ago which subjects i wanted to do & chosing an additional one wasnt too tricky (i just wished my school would've let me drop general studies. man i HATE that course!)
they all went swimmingly & im away to uni next week! smiley - cheers

omy smiley - cheerup

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more