A Conversation for Innovox Connectivity Lounge: Atlanta, GA, USA

A550054 - Atlanta's Coolest Cafe: Innovox

Post 1

thespian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A550054

This is my first entry, and I think it's good, but I wanted to run it past more experienced people before I submitted it. I figured I'd be best writing a review of my favourite hangout before I started tacking some of the bigger subjects I want to do.

Cheers,
Thes.

Post 2

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Rather nice entry on an interesting little place. smiley - smiley I think the Guide needs more entries of this sort (on favorite little places), so I think it's a nice start. I only have a few little quibbles to note:

1. I think in the Edited Guide, it will probably be renamed to the Innovox Connectivity Lounge, Atlanta, GA, USA since that seems to be the common notation at this point. But I think the Sub-Editors will decide that.

2. It's nice that you mention that the place seems to be one of the few places where different communities in Atlanta will mix. Is this a happy accident or was it the full intention of the owner? Is mixing encouraged in an active way?

3. It has networking, but it seems like the LAN room isn't really what brings most people to the place. Was it always that way?

Anyhoo, just my thoughts. I think it's a nice start, and I don't really see any problems with this going into the Guide.

Yours,
Jake

Post 3

thespian

1. I'm ok with that smiley - winkeye

2. A bit of both; Jeff hoped for that, and intended it, but I don't think he thought it would happen - it's a hard thing to get going in this city. People really do ghettoize themselves, and while one person will belong to 10 communities, it's always a big surprise when someone you know from one group shows up in another one here, unlike Boston or Toronto, where I have lived before, and where it was just a given that people would pop up all over the place.

3. The computers, while there to encourage people to communicate, are intentionally out of the way, or in the way; they're smack dab in the middle of high traffic areas, so they can be used by people ('oh, guys, I have to show you all this URL!'), or out of the way so that you are away from it all (you're either there to work, or you're aware that you're away from the centre of the action, so you gravitate back out). One other interesting thing that's happened is lots of people from Innovox using Livejournal, which has really added to the community, both on the LJ site and at the cafe. I'm hoping, if over the next little while I get more involved in the h2g2, to get some more people from Innovox writing for it; it's a very creative crowd, with a lot of experience in some weird places.

Post 4

Mr. Cogito

Hello,

Cool. Thanks for clarifying that. It certainly sounds like an interesting place. smiley - smiley

Yours,
Jake

Thread Moved

Post 5

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'The h2g2 Writing Workshop' to 'Innovox Connectivity Lounge: Atlanta, GA, USA'.

This Conversation has been moved because thias entry has now been recommended by a Scout from Peer Review. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more