A Conversation for The London Underground

The Jubilee Line extension

Post 1

Alitnil

Can anybody offer any wisdom as to why it did not occur to the builders of the Jubilee extension to actually tunnell close to the existing stations, so that there would not need to be ridiculously long walks at each new interchange?

Post 2

Drathlor - Dark Elf

Logic or lack of!

dont expect things to go too easily, there's always some floor in the plan. Engineers thrive on annoyance and reading blueprints upside down.

Post 3

Hope Loveday

I don't really know either, but I imagine that the earth under London is a crowded place. The level of the water table might also affect where the tunnels go, and therefore where the interchanges end up.

That said, I agree the layout of the Waterloo section of the Jubilee line is a bit strange, and it feels like I am going out of the station to get to mainline services.

As for long walks, I do not mind, except when they are up hill. There was a queue at the escalators at Waterloo, so I thought I would walk up the very long stationary escalator to the hall. It was not until I was three quarters of the way up, that I realised that it was a lot longer than it looked. However, at least I know an inexpensive alternative to a trip to the gym now.

HLP

Post 4

pip

But the best thing about the new Jubilee line is the excellent airport-style travellator at Waterloo - oh, and the glass doors on the platforms... easily pleased, aren't I?

pip
xxx

Post 5

Tube Boy

I love that travelator too! I've shared many an enjoyable snog on it!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more