This is the Message Centre for The H2G2 Editors

Radio Play, where can I get it?

Post 1

Benji_Mouse_AKA_Headcoat_Man

Listened to the two record set, and remembered that I liked the original broadcast much more. Is the original broadcast radio play available for purchase somewhere?
Thanks in advance

Post 2

DEZHOMBRAY

The full series is available on BBC cassettes. These are definitely still available as I saw copies in my local MVC yesterday. There was a box set available years ago; bought mine in '89.
Hope this helps.
By the way if it's still available it would be well worth getting a copy of the book of the original radio series scripts which is excellent.

Post 3

The New Floyd

Benji,

You can now get it on CD as well. There are 2 CDs. The first called Primary Phase contains episodes 1-6, and the next called Secondary Phase contains episodes 7-12. You can order them from Amazon.com UK. See the links below.

[links removed by moderator]
Hope this helps...

...M

Post 4

Rush That Speaks

I got all six disks (twelve episodes) in one box published by Time-Warner (yeah, the beast of the apocalyse itself) Audio Books for around $50 (list price $65).
I canot tell you what a good purchase it was to hear (again) the guide in it's best version.
Best.
Version.
With hours of material neverincluded in the trilogy (episodes 7-12).

Post 5

Benji_Mouse_AKA_Headcoat_Man

Hey NewFloyd, the mod deleted the link you posted. Could you send the link to [email protected] ? Thanks.

Post 6

$u$

Hi Benji.smiley - smiley

I can tell you that the cassettes (and I believe, CDs also) are available from whsmith online, as I bought them myself last year. I have also seen them for sale (at a much higher price!) in a BBC shop. You should be able to find whsmithonline easily.smiley - winkeye They are UK based, however they will ship books, etc, anywhere in the world. If you have any problems obtaining them or finding the website, let me know, and also let me know where you reside (ie UK, USA, etc).smiley - smiley

Pegasus ~carrying a black towel~

Post 7

Babelfish

I always thought the double vinyl album (and the single 'Restaurant At The...' album WERE the original radio plays? I picked up both at a market 12 years ago for £5...a bargain.
I think there is much confusion about the design of the books as well as they have been re-printed over and over. I seem to remember seeing a big silver hardback version with some red ball-like thing with it's tongue out? Whats that all about then?

DNA
RIP
Thank you for years of enjoyment.

Post 8

$u$

The album is different yet again. I think it's closer to an interpretation of the books. The radio series is quite drastically different from later versions.

I acquired what seemed to be a very unusual version of 'Restaurant' in paperback a few months ago, but on looking at websites, and reading the blurb, it appears to be the cover for the US market (or at least, one of the previous ones). The thing sticking it's tongue out is similarly from a US book cover... but don't ask me what it's relevance is, cause I haven't figured that out yet!

I noticed in W H Smith yesterday that all the Hitchhiker books have different covers now, and the 'four-part trilogy' at £9.99 looked especially pleasing as a gift. Wasn't what I went in for though. Ho hum.

Pegasus ~carrying a black towel~

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The H2G2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more