This is the Message Centre for Willem

Can you work this out?

Post 1

Willem

I've recently again read about a problem that baffles a huge number of people, including actual mathematicians and statisticians. I'd like to try it on my fellow-h2g2ers. Here it is.

It's a game show. There are three doors. Behind one of the doors there is a fancy car; behind two of the doors there are goats. The game show host knows what's behind each door but the contestant doesn't.

The contestant picks a door, any door.

The host then opens one of the two doors the contestant hasn't picked - *he* picks a door that has a goat behind it. So now the contestant knows at least that that particular door doesn't hide the car. But now he's left with a choice of two remaining 'unknown' doors: the one he originally picked, or the other one, that the host hasn't opened.

He now gets a chance: he can keep the door he picked first, or he can switch his choice to the other door, the one the host hasn't opened. Should he switch - does he improve his chances if he does?

Can you answer this - and if you can, can you give a simple and clearly understood explanation of why? Because apparently this baffles a heck of a lot of people, and I think I can give a clear and concise explanation of the solution.

Key: Complain about this post

Can you work this out?

More Conversations for Willem

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more