A Conversation for The Temple Mount, Jerusalem, Israel

accuracy of Temple mount holiness to Jews

Post 1

Researcher 198037

In the first paragraph of the entry "The Temple Mount, Jerusalem, Israel" the h2g2 explains the holiness of the site to Jews and Muslims. The paragraph states that the mount "houses two of the holiest sites to Moslems" without mentioning that the mount is less holy than Mecca or Medina to the Muslims. On the other hand the paragraph states that only the Western Wall is holy to the Jews. Though (as a Jew) I will not argue with other religions beliefs I can say that THE temple mount itself is THE holiest spot on earth to Jews, by far greater than that of the Western Wall. The Wall's significance is in it being the only remnant of the Second temple (and only an outer wall at that). Downplaying the holiness of the Temple mount itself to Jews is incorrect.

Adin Aronson

Post 2

Researcher 201603

Did you know that there is an exact replica of the western wall in Scotland?

Post 3

Scattergun

Any background info on that?

Scattergun

Post 4

Researcher 201603

There is a full-scale replica of King Solomon's Temple, including the west wall, at Roslin (just south of Edinburgh). It was built by William StClair 1n 1441, following the return of the Knights Templar from Jerusalem. It was originally thought that the partially ruined West Wall was at one time complete, but it was later discovered to have been built that way (to look as if was ruined!)

There are a great many things to be learned from the 'Rosslyn Chapel', what exactly is your interest? - maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Post 5

And Introducing... A Leg

I saw a TV documentary about that place, which claimed, as convincingly as such a claim can do, that the Ark of the Covenant is inside that replica temple. Do I believe it? No idea, sorry.

Post 6

Scattergun

I'm just generally interested, Researcher 201603, - have always found it interesting that people would return here and construct the monuments and architecture that they saw in foreign lands. Recreating something totally out-of-time/out-of-place, the reasoning behind it etc. I'm just odd like that.

Rosslyn Chapel's definitely going to be one to visit....

But I think the whole idea became something of a vogue later on, having an artfully ruined Greco-Roman strcuture or such-like at the back of the palatial pad.

S

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more