This is the Message Centre for Orcus

'Grimping'

Post 1

Orcus

More cycling exploits. Moving on from the first 200 k audax last week, the next aim is the 150 km Gospel Pass 'Grimpeur' on 23rd Feb.

Grimpeur is the french word for climbing or ascending it seems hence the name.

To train for this I took myself out on a seriously arduous climbing session yesterday. Did 82 miles including several major south wales mountains - that's without venturing into the Brecons. Started with my lunchtime favourite the Caerphill mountain - 700 ft with 18% slopes towards the top- followed this with the Senghennydd mountain north of Caerphilly - less lofty but had 18% hairpins twice after I thought I'd already reached the summit - ouch. This was then followed by heading north past Aberdare and ascending two of the larges climbs in the UK - the named ascents Rhigos and Bwlch - neither is steep but both ascend gradually for about 2-3 miles and for 1000 ft. Managed all four of these without stopping for breath.
Though the climbing was done after Bwlch and nearly blew up when my route sent m upwards on a climb prior to the town of Gilfach-Goch that I was not expecting - it was only 200 ft or so but it was steep as hell and , as I said, I'd relaxed as I thought I'd done everything. Still, I did manage it but (as at the top of Senghennyd) there was quite a lot of 'HWOOOOGHHH, RAAAAAA, HARUUUUUMPH, WHooooOAH" emitting from my mouth.

In the end, very , very pleased with this effort - total climb was 1704 metres, somewhat in excess of the height of Ben Nevis smiley - bigeyes.

Still, rather worryingly Gospel Pass (in the Brecons) itself is 1500 ft with 23% slopes about halfway up. It is also 2280 m total climb - lots lots more than I did yesterday.
This audax thing is one hell of a challenge! I love it!!!!!!!!! smiley - biggrin

Next one after that is a rather intimidating ride of 300 km (186 miles!) called The Dean starting in Oxford on March 23rd.

I fully cannot believe my progress in just 7 months - I was utterly unfit back then. I'm getting towards the same level of achievement as running a marathon - something I just never saw in myself. It's very satisfying.

Wonder if I'll have the wherewithall to do a 400 km Brevet - running that past the other half might be the main barrier smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

'Grimping'

More Conversations for Orcus

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more