This is the Message Centre for Orcus

Good battery.

Post 1

Orcus

Just went to take my car in for a service this morning and as I was waiting for the garage to open I sat in the car listening to the radio...

...whereupon it cut out and suddenly the battery was dead as a post. Nothing doing with the ignition save for that rather feeble and depressing clicking sound one gets with a flat battery.

"Timing!" I thought. If it's going to break down then outside the garage where they can repair it - and where I have an appointment - is the place to do it.**

It turns out the radio was badly wired in by Halfords when I bought it and has been draining the battery even when apparently off the whole time I've owned it. This was *four* years ago.

Furthermore I managed to leave the internal light on all night a few weeks back and it still worked no problem until today.

Now - although it may be in a bad way today - that's what I call a sound battery all round. The garage have given it a clean bill of health too. So it's just £25 to rewire the radio properly rather than a new alternator which is what I feared.

Shame the front brakes need doing - that's bumped the bill up to a healthy £400. But it could have been so much worse.
Also a slow puncture in one of the tyres has been identified as repairable so the £300 I was bracing myself for to replace the tyres has disappeared too.smiley - biggrin

So £400 that could maybe have been £1000 - not a bad result overall.

** I have previously been lucky this way. My old car broke down a few years back in Birmingham and I had to get the bus to work. When I came out of work it was to find the entire city in gridlock due to an 'unexpected' amount of snow. Many drivers took in excess of 5 hours to get home that night (if they managed it at all).
I was rather glad I didn't have my car that day in the end. smiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post

Good battery.

More Conversations for Orcus

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more