A Conversation for Don't Panic! Get your button instead!

That's great!

Post 1

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Brill i can't imagen h2g2 without 'Don't panic'! smiley - biggrin

smiley - smileysmiley - angelsmiley - biggrin

~~E~~

That's great!

Post 2

Kumetanzuka the capricious

Dan! My saviour once again! I don't MIND the new Goo skin (liked the look of the old one better, but like the functionality of this one better too) but I was very disappointed about the lack of my dear Don't Panic button. It was so reassuring... couldn't they have just left the image? I wouldn't have to USE it... But I didn't want to complain or interfere because I know the Eds work hard, and that the guide certainly has to be accessible to everyone. It was a good executive decision... but I love my Don't Panic...

Thank you Dan, for saving the world yet again! smiley - smiley

Lady K
~8~

That's great!

Post 3

Dan! My saviour once again! I don't MIND the new Goo skin (liked the look of the old one better, but like the functionality of this one better too) but I was very disappointed about the lack of my dear Don't Panic button. It was so reassuring... couldn't they have just left the image? I wouldn't have to USE it... But I didn't want to complain or interfere because I know the Eds work hard, and that the guide certainly has to be accessible to everyone. It was a good executive decision... but I love my Don't Panic...

Thank you Dan, for saving the world yet again! smiley - smiley

Lady K
~8~

Removed

Post 4

AnnaNorseGoddess

This post has been removed.

That's great!

Post 5

Archangel Big 'Evil' Dan

I managed to save the old Goo Don't Panic button before the change, just for this use. In fact, the first button on this page is just a square chunk of that graphic. (It was too oddly shaped to post as-is.)

I agree that, having greeted many new researchers, an easily accesable help page is necessary, so renaming the button was good overall. In fact I wouldn't be too worried about the site losing it's HHG feel (with Babel fish being thrown around left and right), but Don't Panic isn't just a quote from a book, it's generally good advice. smiley - smiley

Removed

Post 6

This post has been removed.

That's great!

Post 7

Dan - I agree.

I think that Don't Panic was one of Douglas Adams best, most functional ideas in writing the guide. The button ACTUALLY calms you down! Nobody ever thinks to actually just tell people not to panic, before bombarding them with info and instructions, but really it works! Nice friendly letters and all.

~8~

That's great!

Post 8

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Well said!

I have don't panic written all over my study notes at the moment! and it's very calming!

~~E~~

That's great!

Post 9

Archangel Big 'Evil' Dan

Just so that everybody knows, I've made a couple of changes:

1. I fixed up the 2nd button by eliminating the little white bits on the corners.

2. I added a Hotblack Desiato Black-on-black button (slightly modified to be viewed by the human eye.) smiley - smiley

That's great!

Post 10

Archangel Big 'Evil' Dan

3. I added a couple of Alabaster style buttons, for fans of that other skin. smiley - smiley

That's great!

Post 11

Sounds cool!

That's great!

Post 12

Methinks these will be liberally sprinkled over the Terran Embassy pages - so new users will always have something soothing to look at in the confusing array!

Nice work Dan.

K
~8~

That's great!

Post 13

Santragenius V

Great work! I do love the Hotblack Desiato button - very cool creativity (and yet, I did use the Big Red one on my space...)

I'd say, HHGTTG-fans and lovers, unite. Helping the new and innocent is OK and a nice thought -- but let's have our Hitchhiker's skin, Genuine People Personalities and all.

*well knowing that actually wanting GPP irreversibly labels him as kind of mad*

B/R

SG V

That's great!

Post 14

Very cool! Yet having the codes put in HTML as well would make it much easier! I think i'm going to use the black one even though you won't be able to see it 'cause my backgrounds black! smiley - smiley

~~E~~

That's great!

Post 15

Tango

Hi,

Does anyone have an untouched version of the old Goo button? If so I can give you a neat piece of JavaScript that will actully change the Help! button into a Don't Panic! button. If Mark kills you it's not my fault!!! smiley - smiley

It needs to be untouched as the sizes have to line up, I am relying on Towers keeping the two images the same size!

What do you say?

Tango

That's great!

Post 16

Archangel Big 'Evil' Dan

The first button on the page is a direct cutout of the old Don't Panic button. I've still got an intact version (but only the yellow lettering one you see when you put your mouse over it) if you want it.

That's great!

Post 17

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Thanks Dan, I've just added the Hotblack Desiato button to my personal space, and right grand it looks too smiley - biggrin

That's great!

Post 18

Archangel Big 'Evil' Dan

Actually, Tango, I seem to have found an intact white version of the Don't Panic button, from the smiley page I saved to the hard drive. I can send you both now. smiley - smiley

That's great!

Post 19

Archangel Big 'Evil' Dan

Gosh, the Hotblack button is my personal favourite as well. My only fear is that it will look too...black...for people with monitors with limited colours.

That's great!

Post 20

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Hmm, I never thought of that... but I guess they'll upgrade eventually. After all, it is in the true spirit of The Book, and a few years after The Book came out (or rather, it was broadcast on the radio), I had friends around, and used to work near, Islington, and saw 'Hotblack Desiato' estate agent signs all over the place, so it just feels right for me to use that one smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Don't Panic! Get your button instead!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more