This is the Message Centre for penguingrrl

Ween

Post 1

DrifterNtheDark

Yes!!! Another fan of Ween. Man, nobody seems to appreciate the true talent and eclecticism of this band. Each album isn't own entity, entierly different in style and form than the preceeding album. The guittar work and inventive use of sound enhancing devices, combined with sometime silly, sometimes metephysical, and sometimes gut wrenching lyrics place this band in my top ten "must have on a deserted island" bands. I'm saddened that so fer results came up on the list when I did a search for Ween, but one is in and of itself amazing as far as I'm concerned. Most people I know have never heard of the band, or if they have they only know the snippit of "Push the Little Daisies" that found it's breif way on the MTV via "Bevis and Butthead." Thank you, it's good to know I'm not alone. smiley - biggrin

Ween

Post 2

penguingrrl

Yeah, I am obsessed. I have seen them live three times. They move my mind, body and spirit. Especially my spirit of '76. So, did you know that drifter in the dark song is an ancient chinese proverb. At least I think I have that right. I love that song. I guess there isnt a ween song I dont love. Have you heard of Burning Man (a festival in the Nevada desert). Well, I am going to build a giant boognish and call it the Temple of Boognish where we will worship all things brown. We are going to make all sorts of things that relate to ween songs - such as A dwarf that when you touch it, it will somehow surprise you. I will post more later. I am glad to find Ween fans. I plan on writing about the BM experience with the temple. You will see it after Labor Day this year. Talk to ya soon.

penguingrrl
"You WILL get down on your filthy knees and crawl to the altar that is
WEEN." - Henry Rollins

Ween

Post 3

DrifterNtheDark

As I type this, I'm currently listening to a Ween radio station at Live365.com. It's all live music including cover songs. Currently they are covering "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath. As for the Rollin's quote, I heard the spoken word he gave on Ween and as per usual, I have to agree with Hank entirely.
I didn't know about the Chineese proverb, thanks for the info. Ween is right up there with They Might Be Giants when it comes to writing songs based on obscure yet researched topics. "Cold Blows the Wind", for instance is a traditional Japaneese song. I love playing and singing that song (usually when no one is around.)
I've heard of the Burning Man Festival but I've not had the chance to attend. I made it to the Kerville Folk festival a few years back, but really haven't had time for the road trips to these event in sometime. What are the dates for BM? Maybe I can get the time off to make a trip. I have an idea for the Drawf, it would be pretty easy. If you got a garden gnome, you could make it so that by shaking it's hand, a lever would either cause a penis to pop up, or you could have the Dwarf spit water.
I haven't even had a chance to see Ween live yet, but if there are ever in Denver, I'll be sure to check them out Live.
I'm thinking about writing an article on Ween when I find the time, I'll submit it to you first so you can cretique and make any additions you think I may have missed.
Amusing story, a friend of mine use to drive a hunk of s**t called a Ford Pony. It made lots of noise and sounded as though it was running on it's last leg, which indeed it was. Anytime she drove up, we all sang "Mr. would you please help my pony..." This car, sadly, was placed to rest on May 1st, 2000. We all now assume that the end of the story is that the boy's plea did not go well. smiley - smiley
BTW, I found this at the Ween main sight.
"We've been busy in the studio doing the music for a new sitcom on Fox. The show is called "Grounded For Life" and it premiers on Wed. Jan.10. We recorded the theme song and all the internal music. "
If you get this before the show, it may be worth a look.
Anyway, back to work. smiley - smiley
Jade
"Stuck in my cabana, living on Bananas & Blow.... Looking for a ticket to take me away from here."

Ween

Post 4

penguingrrl

Oops, i was wrong about the Drifter in the Dark being the chinese thing. Cold Blows the wind is the one I was refering to. They are both beautiful songs.
Thanks for the info on the TV show. Now I have to find a TV to watch it on. I havent watched any TV for about 8 months now.
BM is around labor day weekend. Actually a week before and including Labor Day. Aug 27-Sept 3 I believe. Check out www.burningman.com
Their website has lots of info on it. You arent too far being in Denver. My second year we drove from Dallas, TX up to Denver(Boulder to visit my boyfriend's Dad), then we drove through the mountains, through Utah, and into Nevada. It was a fun trip. We drove on the loneliest highway in America (HWY 50, I believe).
Now I live in San Francisco and the drive is only 6 hours instead of 42. Gotta love the inherent need to go to Burning Man and express all that craziness built up inside. Of course, here in San Francisco, its easy to be crazy without disturbing people.
I heard a WEEn song on the University Radio station not too long ago-Mr. Richard Smoker. That was a lot of fun. I was singing and swerving my car to the music. I love WEEN.
Is it ok for us to talk like this. I really dont know how all of this works. I just love the Hitchhiker's book. Anything and everything weird is usually ok in my book.
Well, I am so glad to have met a fellow WEEN fan. Talk to ya soon.
peas and hominy
sarahthepenguingrrl

Ween

Post 5

Icnavagata

hey penguine grrl,

i too am a Ween fan. I first heard them when they played on a show called Viva Variety. Now i've seen them five times.

Im writing an entry on them, check it out here A812729
and tell me what you think. Its gonna be a collabrative thing, so if you could talk some about their live concerts, albums, or whatever you like, it'd be great.

im gonna have to check out this Burning Man thing, as i've never heard of it. sounds like you have had a lot of fun there.
thanks

rocky

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for penguingrrl

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more