A Conversation for Talking Point: Are Recent Weather Extremes Caused by Global Warming?

Hurricanes

Post 1

Maverick {'Doc, I get a stabbing pain in my eye every time I drink tea.' 'Take the spoon out'.}

The mention of Audrey, Betsy, and especially Camille bring to mind pictures of awful flooding, record winds and immeasurable destruction in our part of South Louisiana. These were all category 5 storms I think. The worst hurricane that I remember in my lifetime is Andrew(92). For those in other parts who do not follow hurricanes: A category 5 is the worst. It has winds in excess of 150 mph. Andrew hit Florida, went back into the water, came across Florida and hit metro Baton Rouge about four in the morning. We were without electricity almost immediately. The water pressure was next. My house was without electricity for 10 days. My friends were without water for the same 10 days. Fortunately for us that was the last really bad hurricane to pass our way. We have had a few more recent close calls. In the past couple of years our summer rainfall has actually been below record and considered drought level for us. The extreme weather affects us all.

Hurricanes

Post 2

KWDave

A lot has been made of El Nino and La Nina here in South Florida.

During the last El Nino (characterized by a noticeable warming of the Pacific waters off the coast of South America), we had hurricanes marching in here every other day, including Georges, the first hurricane to hit Key West since 1934.

This year, La Nina (the reverse of El Nino, apparently) caused all of them to take a sharp right in the Leeward Islands and avoid us completely.

Hear, Hear for La Nina! I don't know if she is the result of global warming, but I for one will look forward to her presence in years to come.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more