A Conversation for Contributing to the Guide

Meaning of Liff

Post 1

Researcher 226539

Just an entry I thought of:

Nether Wallop (vb)
The eventual, satisfying emmission of anal gas, after a long period of witholding it (due to social surroundings).

Meaning of Liff

Post 2

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Hello and Welcome to h2g2 Researcher 226539 smiley - smiley

If you'd like to return to your Space, either by click on 'My Space' or on your researcher number above your conversation post.

Then click 'edit Page' (or simular)

Say a few words about yourself, or even just 'Hello' for now, until you feel more comfortable. smiley - ok

Then click 'Update Details' (or simular)

That will activate your space and allow poeple to post messages to you, including an ACE (Assistant Community Editor) who will offer you links and advice to help you find your way around and get to know about h2g2. smiley - biggrin

Emmily
smiley - rose

Meaning of Liff

Post 3

Fred Bear

I didn't think there was any meaning to liff (life).

I thought Life was a magazine.

"Where do I get Life"

From a newsagent

"How much is life"

Two shillings

"But, I haven't got two shillings"

That's Life

"What's Life"

Life's a magazine.
-------------------------$$$---------------------

Meaning of Liff

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

It's a reference to a book by Douglas Adams - 'The Meaning of Liff' - which tried to define new words for the English language by only using existing placenames. No idea if this is already one (though I imagine it is), but for example 'Holborn' - the feeling you're in a place you should have left hours ago. Similarly 'Soho' - the feeling that you should be somewhere else, working very hard, instead of drinking yourself stupid.

Both of the above will be used to describe me at some point this evening, though I hope the latter outweighs the former considerably smiley - smiley

Meaning of Liff

Post 5

Researcher 235040

true spiritual harmony can only be achieved when you can get drunk and not feel guilty.

Meaning of Liff

Post 6

Edgar's Diary

The meaning of life (or indeed,liff) is that 'this is all there is - so get out there and get on with it'! I wish you all a happy Thursday - I'm off to enjoy the sun, the river, the hive of activity & bustle that is London in the Summer. And of course, a little later some cool brain embalming fluid to interfere with those brain cells which deny me the right to a pleasurable existance.

Marc, aka Edgar's Diary

Meaning of Liff

Post 7

James - wholesale spork provider (2*3*8*1-6*1=42!)

Don't forget Woking or Shoeburyness. Just nipped in to say that.

Don't Panic!

meaning of live

Post 8

gorki - simply loves the word "amazing"

well, I don't believe that there's a real meaning for live, universe and everything. You know, nothing has any meaning. If I'd jump out of the window next to me, what would that matter. Yes, I'm in the ground floor, and yes, I wouldn't hurt me, but just imagine I'm in an skyscraper at the 99th floor, and then, totally unexpected, I'd jump out of the window. In cosmic meaning, that wouldn't matter anything.
smiley - biggrin

meaning of live

Post 9

SomebodyElsesProblem

The sad thing though, is that you would never know if it had a meaning, cosmically or non cosmically. Think of it, you really can't discover a meaning if you're suddenly covering a rather large area.

meaning of live

Post 10

I've been thinking about that by now, and I'd say you are right.smiley - smiley

Meaning of Liff

Post 11

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be raplaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-DNA

Key: Complain about this post