A Conversation for Contributing to the Guide

Could I please just ask this....

Post 1

Spangled Man

I have an idea for an entry but I feel it would be wise to check that the subject matter is OK with the powers that be.
Basically I would like to do an entry on how to use Ecstasy safely. I understand that this could be a very 'touchy' subject but since there are litteraly millions of people using it each weekend I feel that information should be available to those people. It would in no way glorify the drug nor would it be an attempt to persuade people that it's OK to do, it would simply be a user guide to anyone who is going to use it regardless of what the dangers are.
However, I would understand totally if it is felt that the area should be left well alone! I just don't want to put all the time into writing it to be told that it cannot and will not be used!

Post 2

h2g2Support

Hi Spangled Man,

We agree with you - it would be a 'responsible' entry to have in the Guide. It is, however, a very tricky subject, and we would need to be very careful that it didn't break the BBC's guidelines on drugs.

One of the only ways to do this is for you to write the entry as best you can, send it in (probably by email) and we'll work with the BBC lawyers to see if we can get it included in the Guide.

I've contacted them now, so I'll let you know what their initial reactions are. You're aware, of course, that what they say has to be stuck to. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Spangled Man

Absolutley. That's why I felt it would be wise to OK the subject matter before any real work was done on it. If i'm going to write it, I'll do it in GuideML, so if I write it in Wordpad with all the tags and then Email it can it be cut & pasted and viewed in full? I don't really want to write the whole thing and then go through the task of adding all the tags in!!
In the mean time I'll await the initial response.

Cheers,

SM

Post 4

beeline

Excellent. I'll let you know as soon as I get a reply.

Post 5

beeline

I have a reply, and they say 'yes'. Nice one! smiley - smiley

It will, however, need to be checked over very carefully before it is put on h2g2 at all, so you will need to email it to me. The only thing the lawyers suggested is that the entry title truly reflects the content of the entry - i.e. that it's not condoning taking the drug, but is just supplying safety information.

I'll email you with their reply.

smiley - cheers

Post 6

Spangled Man

Cool! I'll start working on it and get it over toyou. I've got the Email you sent today so I'll just use that address if that's OK.

Thanks for sorting that, no it's down to me to make sure the entry is done in the appropriate manner!

SM

good subject

Post 7

Hiker Mond

There certainly is not enough info on this anywhere.
congrats on having the courage to tackle this subject. I for one will be interested in your finished work, Although I'm afraid I don't have any info to add that will be helpful.

Post 8

Researcher 185640

NOTHING, ANY PILL GIVES YOU ISN'T ALREADY IN YOUR HEAD, SAVE A FEW BUCKS, AND PRESERVE A FEW BRAIN CELLS FOR WHEN YOU GET ALZHEIMERS,
WHO NEEDS MAD COWS DISEASE WHEN THERE ARE PILLOCKS AROUND FRIGHTENS TO DISCOVER THE STRENGHTH OF THEIR OWN PERCEPTIONS

Post 9

Researcher 185640

OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE A GAGLE FRINGAM WHO MISSED THE SHIP

Post 10

Researcher 185640

OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE A GARGLEFRINGAM (IS THAT SPELT RIGHT)WHO MISSED THE SHIP

Post 11

beeline

The Golgafrinchans from Golgafrincham. smiley - smiley

What's your view on alcohol, just out of interest?

Post 12

Researcher 185640

ALCOHOL, WHAT A WONDERFUL WAY TO DULL THE SENCES!
WEAK ARGUMENT THAT YOU ARE SUGESTING,COMPAIRING DRUGS WITH EACH OTHER,
I SUPPOSE YOU WANT TO LEGALISE CANABIS ALSO, WOULD BE ANOTHER GREAT TAX RAISER.
TEACH PEOPLE TO RESPECT THEMSELVES MAYBE, AND THEN TO ENJOY THE INCREDIBLE AND BEAUTIFUL WORLD WE ALL LIVE IN, IS THAT ENOUGH GARBAGE FOR YOU?

Post 13

beeline

Hi Researcher 185640,

Just a few hints that might make your time here a little easier... smiley - smiley

You should be aware that this site - the whole of the Internet, in fact - contains many opinions, of which you should try to be more tolerant and less immediately dismissive.

Also, typing in capital letters is frequently interpreted to mean you're shouting, which most people will not appreciate.

Finally, why not change your Researcher name to something a little more personal and friendly? You can do this by hitting the Preferences button at the top of the page.

Just to play devil's advocate here, why is a comparison between alcohol and cannabis not acceptable? Is it just the legal position? And why do you think (ab)using drugs is not consistent with self-respect? I'm just interested in your view on this... smiley - smiley

hedupuras

Post 14

Hiker Mond

you tell im chris... or her .....or it

hedupuras

Post 15

beeline

Hmmm - I hope I didn't scare him/her off...

Still, at the very worst, I might have got him/her thinking, which is never a bad thing. smiley - smiley

hedupuras

Post 16

Spangled Man

Just to give an update, I am still working on this subject but going through all the resources for info is taking a while! I haven't given up though so watch this space.
Nice one chris! What is it with people shouting? Should be a law against that on this site. ITS VERY RUDE! smiley - smiley

hedupuras

Post 17

Vix Chocolatechip

I'm glad to see people taking a mature and considered attitude to the subject! smiley - winkeye
Regardless of any legal, moral or health implications, there are folk out there in partyland enjoying themselves.
Any suggestion that providing safe ecstasy use information might encourage new users is daft and dangerous. That same attitude prevailed in the field of sex education for far too long.
Folks should be able to make informed choices.

Key: Complain about this post