This is the Message Centre for h2g2 Choral Society

Chichester Psalms

Post 1

Trillian's child

This is a beautiful work, to be sung in Hebrew, which requires a bit of extra study, but it's worth it for the force of the language. The accompanying instruments (harp, organ and percussion) underline the drama of the thing. Bernstein wrote them for a Cathedral choir in England - Salisbury or Winchester, would have to go downstairs and look. Melodies are haunting and choral work is most rewarding. Certainly made the biggest impression on me (and I, I just worked out, have been singing in choirs for 37 years now!)

Chichester Psalms

Post 2

Ottox

Sounds good to me smiley - smiley When do we start singing???

* leaves for the music library *
* Oh no, I don't - it's Saturday night smiley - bigeyes *

Chichester Psalms

Post 3

Trillian's child

Well, we're still not very many. But as far as I'm concerned, the sooner the better. I'm looking forward to the Christmas party after the Christmas concert.

Chichester Psalms

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Could it have been for Chichester Cathedral, by any chance?

Chichester Psalms

Post 5

Ottox

smiley - smiley

Chichester Psalms

Post 6

You can call me TC

Yes it was Chichester Cathedral., How did you guess?

Chichester Psalms

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

I too have sung the Chichester Psalms. The work is a beautiful piece of music. It has some very tricky singing: the 7/8 rhythm in the first movement, for the more rhythmically challenged among us, and the pianissimo bit at the end of the last movement. It's definitely worth it.

Chichester Psalms

Post 8

You can call me TC

Hooray - you see, it's not a figment of my imagination. It moves you in a completely different way than the Passions do. (Sometimes I can't get the notes out in the Matthew or John Passion because I am so moved. Very unprofesssional I know, but then, I am not a professional.)

The New Testament works are more the fate of one person, the Bernstein is the fate of a whole people, but still very very moving.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for h2g2 Choral Society

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more