This is the Message Centre for Ottox

This choir thing

Post 1

Trillian's child

I am not very good at GuideML. It may be my browser, it may be me. (Netscape is the only browser that produces a picture on my PC - don't ask, I've de-installed, re-installed, phoned the hotline and got my wizzkid son to look at it but no one knows why)

Your Personal Space is very very nice and very very clever. Could I commission you to do the Choral Society front page.

Tick as applicable:

Yes, I'd love to, it would be an honour
No, figure it out for yourself - it was your idea.

Many thanks for either answer!!

This choir thing

Post 2

Ottox

I'm so flattered, how could I say no??? smiley - smiley

"Yes, I'd love to, it would be an honour"

But what should be on the page? I need your help for that!
What shall the name be?
How shall we organize?
Etc. smiley - winkeye

Many thanks for any answer!! smiley - smiley

PS: I don't know GuideML (yet!), my page is in HTML

This choir thing

Post 3

Trillian's child

Nothing fancy.

Name: "H2G2 Choral Society"

So at the top there would be a short introduction with an invitation to join. (People might be put off with anything longer than six lines)
LInks to the Musicians' Guild (I am sure Choral Society members can automatically join that)

Your home page is nicely designed and very nifty. There are lots of cute little cliparts of children singing (usually Christmas carols or so) you could decorate it with. (If that's too naff, maybe some facsimilies of scores, or some imposing famous buildings like Kings College Cambridge and St Thomas Church Leipzig.

Or a picture of the Choir of the Week - taken from the ranks of H2G2 singers.

Recruiting: Organise it like the orchestra - make a table or list for each part for people to fill in. Start with me in alto.

And then we need soloists, - A CONDUCTOR ! - collect works as suggested, genres.

What would also be useful (I don't think the orchestra has that) would be an invitation to

- review and recommend records
- and review concerts
- and advertise concerts that are coming up. (People who live near each other could even meet at these concerts ... the possiblities are endless.)

Advertise, advertise, advertise / link, link link- on everyone's Personal Space and in forums. How do we get on the front page?

And of course one could advertise one's own concerts - where the choir IRL is performing. O God, I wish I lived in London

If choir practices are anything to go by, everyone should have plenty to say!!

*disappears to bathroom to do breathing exercises and sing scales*

(sorry! - I used to work in a marketing department and am used to brainstormings and campaigns like this. I do go on, don't I?)

This choir thing

Post 4

Trillian's child

And I agree that the format should be identical to the Orchestra - at least the table idea, etc.

Thanks Thanks Thanks for setting up the page. Are we automatically memebers of the Musician's Guild if we're in the Choir? Can we put the emblem on our page?

BTW I think I've now sussed out Guide ML. I'll start practising on my Personal Space. I then have another project for all German Researchers and Those Interested In It to start up, so I get my chance to be creative, too!

This choir thing

Post 5

njan (afh)

If you want to, feel free to copy and of the source code from my symphony orchestra page. You're welcome to.

Ooooooh! Idea!.. How about a "h2g2 symphony orchestra and choir" banner that advertises the two on one banner? I could probably make one! smiley - smiley

This choir thing

Post 6

Ottox

Thank you smiley - tongueout
I've not been here much for the last few days, but I will try to start the page later today. The banner sounds nice smiley - smiley

Musicians Guild (All I've got to do)

Post 7

Ottox

Why don't you just go to http://www.h2g2.com/F53961?thread=77139 and sign up :-)

H2G2 Choral Society

Post 8

h2g2 Choral Society

I have set a page up on http://www.h2g2.com/U153792.
Not much in it yet, but it's a start smiley - smiley
Ottox

H2G2 Choral Society

Post 9

Trillian's child

Well done. Thanks. Perhaps one could pick out one or two comments from the forums and paste them into the front page for a bit of ballast.

H2G2 Choral Society

Post 10

Ottox

Hi TC, please let me know if there's anything you think should be different in the page. If you give me your email adress, you can have the password for the identity (that's why I made it a U-number). I'm not quite happy about my English, I don't like to write a lot on this *very* important frontpage. smiley - smiley
As for the works mentioned on the page, it's the majors because they are a lot easier to handle on a list.
I don't like the picture very much, but it was the best I could steal, just to have something! I hope someone will create a better logo soon.
And then we need some advertising - but that won't be tonight smiley - winkeye

smiley - smiley

H2G2 Choral Society

Post 11

Trillian's child

Sorry - somehow I had missed your message. The page is fine as it is - keep it uncluttered. I like the picture.

Would you please include a link to the new Entry: http://www.h2g2.com/A407666 (Anglican Choral Tradition). And I recommend a link to bachdigital.org - made in Leipzig and very comprehensive.

The English is OK.

Idea!! Why don't we try to arrange a forum posting time, similar to a regular choir practice? Say, every Monday afternoon (no absolute time limits because of time zone problem)

As this is a virtual choir, we could fantasise about which conductors we want - I have seen a few programmes on Helmut Rilling lately, and he seems a down-to-earth sort of chap. Unless, of course, we revive Lenny Bernstein.

We must advertise - contact the Post or something - at the moment we are rather stagnant.

The table form is also a good idea. It has to be the other way round from the orchestra, because there are less categories and more names per category.

As far as I'm concerned, we can start singing straightaway. Nothing on the list, of course, but something for smaller groups - Christmas carols with the tune sung by the (most numerous) tenors - I would do a descant, as I can't compete in the alto register with four men. If no one's in the mood for Christmas yet, how about some folk songs - Russian, Welsh, ...?

H2G2 Choral Society

Post 12

Trillian's child

Have pinched your picture for my home page ! Is that OK!??

H2G2 Choral Society

Post 13

Ottox

It's OK you use the picture, but still I will try to find or create something better. (And since you link directly to my homepage, you might suddenly see the picture has changed - he he! smiley - winkeye)
The English is OK -that's because there's so little of it smiley - smiley

I probably won't do any big changes on the page for the first couple of days. I will be quite busy in the weekend, CD-recording with my RL-choir!!!

H2G2 Choral Society

Post 14

You can call me TC

How did it go, then - what were you singing?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ottox

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more