A Conversation for Space Travel, Propulsion and Other Minutiae

don't panic

Post 1

Fafnir

You have to excuse me, but I cannot share your view on space.Space, it is said, is mind-bogglingly
huge. This is true. But I like the feeling of my mind boggling at the view of millions of stars, strange
worlds or the moon monthly changing in her circled orb.

You say that the best thing one can do is forget about space, forget its existence, take a beer or
a cup of tea, have a nice time and don't care for anything outside your window. This cannot possibly
be a good idea, since space is where we all come from, where we will go to and where I would love
to spend some years - travelling to ... let's say Alpha Centauri or any other place.

Of course it is not yet possible to bridge the distances between stars, but we have to try and research.
Let the physicists do what physicists can do. They have proved, that nothing travels faster than light
(with - of course - the possible exception of bad news), they will have to find a solution for this problem
which would'nt exist without them.

Have a great time, Richard

don't panic

Post 2

Simmie

But the problem with space is that there's so bleedin' much of it. Even if we pick somewhere exciting to go - like Alpha Centurai - then there is still a damn good chance that we're missing a really great party somewhere else...

don't panic

Post 3

Fafnir

Well, yes. That's right. But since you don't know what you're missing you shouldn't bother. At the moment it is almost impossible to be at more than one place at a time. So you might as well miss a party in Boston while you're sleeping in Seattle smiley - winkeye.
You see that it is vitally important to try (and quite probably fail) to have a life as great as possible.

don't panic

Post 4

OvaThaHill

Ah! poor Earthlings! Why try and reduce space to the human intellect and understanding? Those of us whom you call "alien" know that in the blink of an eye (human of course, but a time warp for us "aliens") Alpha Centauri is so to say, across the block! So pack your bags and be ready! From Zordaq - goodbye - and thanks for all the fish!

don't panic

Post 5

Simmie

Ah, but that shouldn't stop us from trying! In fact space travel should be encouraged if it means we can have more parties, in more places, with more people, drinking more drinks, eating more food, and having more fun...

don't panic

Post 6

Mac warrior

Lets face it, no one wants to invite us to any parties. If they did, they would have called us up already....

don't panic

Post 7

Droid janlev

I see your point, and the only solution I can see, is the opposite of Space! smiley - smiley
If we spread mankind to thin, we all going to miss a lot of parties. So I suggest that we put all of mankind on a cramped place, like a small tropical island. That way we don't have to worry that we miss any parties in Seattle, Alpha Centauri, or whatever!

don't panic

Post 8

shmontsino

you mean, of course, if we were invited, it would have been as a snack

don't panic

Post 9

Mac warrior

On the contrary, one of the reasons we are not invited to many parties is that there are so freaken many of us. I the call some of us up and not others then people2 who were not invited might hear of it and crash the party. Therefor, we should all spread out so that they can pick who they want with out offending anyone. Why else do you thing there are no abductions in New York city?

don't panic

Post 10

Marvin T Android

coz all the people in new york city are too stupid to work on? (apologies to all new york people. No offence meant!)

don't panic

Post 11

sweetndark

I just think that there aren't enough parties in the first place and i think that instead of wandering round looking for a party, we should all just have one ourselves, so there you have it-problem solved(except for new Yorkers!!!)

don't panic

Post 12

Mac warrior

The New Yorkers are ahead of you, they are already planing one freaken huge part on Jan 1 1999, who knows what kind of intergalactic wierdo's will show up?

don't panic

Post 13

sweetndark

well, i'll be there, so there's one! smiley - fish

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more