This is the Message Centre for h2g2 Musicians Guild

Female Drummers

Post 1

Juliet

Does anyone know of any famous female jazz drummers. Who is the best?

Female Drummers

Post 2

h2g2 Musicians Guild

I'm afraid I don't listen to much jazz, and therefore don't know any good female drummers from jazz bands. But I do know a good drummer from a rock band. One of the drummers in Billy Joel's band is Crystal Taliefero, a black woman who is not only an excellent drummer, but also sings well and does a pretty good jazz saxaphone.

I just saw her in the Face to Face tour with Billy Joel and Elton John, where I was impressed by her skill. Joel took special delight in letting the audience know that she has recently become pregnant. (She certainly isn't showing yet.)

Anyway, she apparently has at least one CD out of her own music. You can find out more about her by visiting her web site. Just type in her name with .com at the end. smiley - smiley

Female Drummers

Post 3

Juliet

Thanks a ton. Actually, I think of Billy Joel's band as pretty good stuff for jazz... I wish we could do some versions

Female Drummers

Post 4

Ottox

The only female jazz drummer I can think of right now is Marilyn Mazur. I've put a link for an article about her here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A528518
She's brilliant, but I haven't heard her for a long time...

Female Drummers

Post 5

Juliet

That's another good one. Thanks!! I do know of Cindy Blackman and Sylvia Cuenca - both good jazz drummers.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for h2g2 Musicians Guild

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more