A Conversation for Philip K Dick

Philip K Dick

Post 1

Brussels Sprout

http://www.h2g2.com/A422669

Okay, the entry isn't complete, nor is it comprehensive...

However, it is started. I know that most of the links are to un-edited entries (which means I'll have to take out the link before PKD can get anywhere near the edited guide).

Anyway, lots more to write up on it (just printed out a couple of hundred pages of interviews and biog stuff from the web). I'll have to go through all of that this weekend and see what intelligence I can distill from it.

Enough! Share and Enjoy smiley - smiley

Alternatively.... Go stick your head in a pig!

smiley - fish

Philip K Dick

Post 2

NexusSeven

Well, you seem to have done my job for me. I can't add any other suggestions beyond the ones that you yourself allude to.

Shame about the linked entries, eh? Maybe they need to be posted on the PRP to benefit from a little communal criticism...

Oh, just for the record, is there a specific pig that you had in mind, or would any old oinker do? smiley - winkeye

Philip K Dick

Post 3

Brussels Sprout

Yea, unfortunately online biographical material seems to suffer from uncertaintly... And I thought the act of observing was supposed to force things to occupy one of their potential states smiley - smiley

As to the pig.... Any old oinker will do!

Philip K Dick

Post 4

Stealth Munchkin

A few points...
You might want to talk about the recurring themes in Dick's work - what it means to be human, the existence or otherwise of the universe as distinct from our perception of it, that sort of thing.
You might also mention that Total Recall was inspired by We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, and that many of Dick's best works were written on amphetamines, which accounts in parts for the paranoid tone.
And Astounding and Unkonown were separate magazines (Astounding Science Fiction which changed to Analog Science Fiction - Science Fact and is still going strong and Unknown, which was a fantasy magazine killed off by the paper shortage in WWII). And John Campbell edited rather than published them - they were published by Street & Smith...

Philip K Dick

Post 5

Brussels Sprout

All points on my list of 'stuff' to include smiley - smiley

Just rereading "We can build you" and "The shifting realities"

Thanx for the comments though!

smiley - fish

Thread Moved

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'Philip K Dick'.

Back to Entry, article deleted by author.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more