This is the Message Centre for Meddig

Llantrisant

Post 1

Meddig

Llantrisant is a small town in South Wales, in the UK. Literally translated Llantrisant (Llan - tri - sant) means "church of the three saints". The original town is built of on the side of a moutain .. The Billy Wynt, which is distinctive in having the bottom half of a windmill still standing on it. If you climb this mountain on a windy day, and stand on top of the windmill, you can be blown off - so don't!

Llantrisant has two significant entries into the history books. The first is that the archers of Llantrisant were well ronowned for thier prowess and fought in the battle of hastings. See the "3 Archers Joke".

Secondly, and more famously, the town has a stake in the delopment of the law of the United Kingdom. A local inhabitant, Dr William PRice, fought sucessfully for the legalisation of cremation. He cremated his son, Iesi Grist (Jesus Christ - *s*), and sucessfully one a court case, setting a legal precident and making cremation legal.

Llantrisant

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Don't they print money in Llantrisant, thus giving rise to the description "Llantrisant - the hole with the mint in"? smiley - smiley

Llantrisant

Post 3

Meddig

Touche mon amie. Certainly. *thinks* but how would you know that? *s* Where are you from then? ... how did you find this?

Llantrisant

Post 4

Meddig

Now, having done a little research (very uncharacteristic of me) I have actually discovered that you once lived in Romford. Oddly (coincidence - I doubt it!) I have been working in Oldchurch hospital (Waterloo Road, Romford)for the last few months of my summer break. I get this odd feeling that you are VERY well educated, Discuss. Oh, and Llantrisant also has an annual festival on May bank holiday, to actually make this fit in with the rest of the topic.

Look forward to some forcible enlightening.

Llantrisant

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Hi Meddig

I can't recall where I linked to your space from, but I usually do that from a forum - it was probably the Rules of Cricket. Nor can I remember where I heard that description of Llantrisant, but I do know that it was quite a while ago - when I was still living in Romford in fact, which was more than 20 years ago. Ahh, Romford, jewel of the east... NOT! All of the people I hung out with at school moved away from Romford as soon as they could. In fact, one of them moved to New Zealand, and you can't get much further from Romford without leaving the planet smiley - smiley In hindsight, it was actually a pretty good place to grow up - close enough to London to make all the amenities easily accessible by train, close enough to the countryside to make that easily accessible too, and with plenty of amenities of its own. It's quite a while since I've been there, I think the last time I was in the town centre was 5 or 6 years ago, and it had changed out of all recognition from how I remember it. I know Oldchurch Hospital well, but thankfully only as an outpatient or when visiting an inpatient. How did you get on with Romford? Where did you stay?

"I get this odd feeling that you are VERY well educated, Discuss." Thank you for the compliment Meddig, and I wish I could say that it were true, but it's not. I stayed on at school into the 6th form, but failed the two A levels I took, and I've been working ever since, with hardly a thought of further education, apart from showing a little interest in The Open University for a while. I do try though to maintain an active interest in everything that's going on around me, locally, nationally, and globally, and I find the things that people do fascinating.

What took you to Romford - I know that you're a medical student, but why Romford in particular? I lived an Manchester for a couple of years, and I knew some medical students there. They were a lot of fun because they were the biggest bunch of pissheads around! We went on so many pub crawls around Manchester, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, Stockport, I could go on and on. And Manchester is beer heaven. So many small breweries in south and central Lancashire... at least, there were - I'm talking about the late 70's. Robinsons, Holts, Hydes, Thwaites, hell, even Boddingtons was good then smiley - smiley

I think that's enough "forcible enlightening" for now Meddig. I'd be interested in knowing more about you, oh, and I'd be *very* intersted in knowing more about total knee replacements, seeing as how both of mine are completely buggered after spending 13 years as a removal man smiley - sadface

Jim

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Meddig

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more