A Conversation for The History Of Animation

A couple of comments

Post 1

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

A good first effort... much better than my first efforts on here, I can tell you, but in my defense, when I arrived here, crap was the standard. smiley - winkeye

I do have a couple of things to point out, though. First, this article makes no mention of stop-motion animation or of claymation. In order for it to live up to its name, you need to include these. Second, you mention "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" as a breakthrough in live-action and animated integration, which is certainly true, but then you say that it lead to the success of other Disney movies that involved no live-action. The connection there is tenuous at best. It might be better to say that that sort of thing lead to other movies like Warner Bros' "Space Jam," although, in my opinion, that movie sucked. Third, this article betrays your US bias. You have gone on to mention certain European and Japanese animations, but the opening bit on cel animation is entirely Ameri-centric. It's easy to fix, though. Instead of this: "He is also known for his studio's release of the first U.S. feature-length animated film.", you might investigate further and find that Disney produced the first feature-length film anywhere... thus removing the US bias. If you find that someone accomplished the feat in Europe before him, then that person probably deserves a mention. Offhand, though, I would say that Walt was the first.

There you have it, your first venture into the world of literary criticism... do you still love me? smiley - winkeye

A couple of comments

Post 2

The Corrupt One (MIA)

Yes, dear cousin, no hurt feelings here! I look up to you, and you seem to know what you're doing...most of the time.smiley - winkeye
Though I failed to make a note of it, I am currently busy making another article which explores the techniques and processes of animation in more depth, so I'll put some of the research I came across for the other article into this one. As for the mistakes, thanks for pointing them out--I'll fix them. (I'm guessing that they're more due to working on the article during Biology than a lack of research.) The idea of it being biased did come to my attention (after the fact) and I'm going to fix that with all the other mean little details.

A couple of comments

Post 3

That's the secret to being a good IT professional... looking like you know what you're doing is even more important than actually knowing. smiley - winkeye

I understand how tricky it can be to keep out biases. The thing you may not understand, though, is that H2G2 is by and large a British community, and if you produce an article with a US bias, it will not be approved, and will probably incite some nasty comments. We yanks (god, I hate that term) aren't too popular around here, but that's okay... we'll stick around just to spite them. smiley - winkeye

And on that note, I'm submitting my own project to the University of Life, which is on the American Revolution. They can hardly stop me from presenting a US bias on that subject, now can they? smiley - winkeye

A couple of comments

Post 4

The Corrupt One (MIA)

Awwwwwww...I thought I was doing something cool that you didn't. Just go and take all the fun out of my project... smiley - winkeye

Yes, I know that h2g2 is mainly British, and that's the only reason I even stopped to think about the biases (okay, after the fact) at all. Otherwise we'd probably get in a big fight and...and...and...

Okay, ranting over. Needed to get some of that out of my system. It's soooo boring around here.

Okay, maybe there's a reason that "we yanks" (a term which I also have great dislike to) aren't too popular around here. After all, we probably started the endless ranting around here. And we ain't goin' no-where's. smiley - winkeye

And they can't stop you, but you might get a few comments about the bias. After all, you seem to stir people up no matter what you do! smiley - winkeye

A couple of comments

Post 5

Tis a talent I possess... a necessary one for an iconoclast, don't you think? smiley - winkeye

I don't think it was the Americans who started the bitching... way back when this was mostly fields, I couldn't make two clicks without stumbling across some bigoted rant against the US. It has calmed down considerably, but it still occurs on occasions. The sad truth is, as much as Americans think we're the bigots of the world, we have a lot to learn on the subject from our cousins across the pond.

As for the project... you really didn't think such a renowned (in my own mind, anyway smiley - winkeye) researcher would not manage to produce a major project, did you? I'm trying out the system, since it is brand new. I was also trying out the peer review system, but so far I have dim hopes for that one... too easy for a good article to fall between the cracks as is.

A couple of comments

Post 6

james

dont fool your self not all fig trees are as inocent as they might appear.in my experience they can sometimes put things all out of context..

A couple of comments

Post 7

What was all that nonsense about innocent fig trees? smiley - tongueout

Anyway, cousin, I figured I'd keep the criticism here, where it belongs. The animation process article does seem fine as it is. I do find at times, though, that when writing articles on related topics, a bit of redundancy becomes necessary... see my two scuba articles for an example. It looks to me like you may have bitten off more than you can chew with the title of this article. You gloss over things too quickly in order to cover all the things you feel are important. There are two solutions to this: take your time and expand the article, or shorten its scope by limiting it to a more specific topic... the history of cell animation, the history of cartoons... something like that.

A couple of comments

Post 8

esoteric epigram

i agree, there is so much here you didn't even mention, also the techniques developed by Disney were infact developed by Ub Iwerks who might deserve some credit. i'm researching my own piece comparing Disney with the Japanese Studio GHibli and i came here hoping to find something. thankyou there were a few things i hadn't come across but the other things i have read in my research lead me to agree with your friend, develope or rename.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The History Of Animation

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more