A Conversation for Project: Baroque Music

If it's not Baroque...

Post 1

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

smiley - smiley I remember taking oboe lessons(I'll have to write an article for oboes, since it is lacking....) a few... ::cough:: possibly several years ago, and my teacher had me play one or two Baroque pieces. If I remember right, my teacher held to the claim that Hayden was a Baroque composer...

Also, much of music consists of patterns. A phrase of melody would often repeat itself in this style of music, played softer the second time than the first. Baroque music reminds one of fancy, ballroom dancing, and proper lords and ladies, greeting one another in the formal manner of dance. smiley - smiley

it does that for me, anyway!! AND GOOD GRIEF!!! I LOOOVE the Four Seasons!!! Especially Fall!!! smiley - smiley

If it's not Baroque...

Post 2

Kes

Hi!

The boundaries are always debatable. I put Haydn into Classical (although his "time" overlaps with Bach) because he wrote symphonies rather than concerti grossi. He certainly learned his trade during the Baroque era.

If you like four seasons - take a look at my draft article - either vis my home page, or it's reference: A423154. I'd love to get some feedback on it.

If it's not Baroque...

Post 3

Joe aka Arnia, Muse, Keeper, MathEd, Guru and Zen Cook (business is booming)

Baroque is very mathematically precise music. It follows strong patterns. You can actually find parallels with the maths of the time. It was very mechanistic, rules based maths, the music has the same tone. It is my mum's favourite period though.

I do like "Tocatta and Fugue in D minor" and it is a perfect example of music/maths for its own sake.

If it's not Baroque...

Post 4

h2g2 Musicians Guild

I thought you might be interested. I ran across an entry on a Baroque-era composer.

Henry Purcell
http://www.h2g2.com/A402049

The author probably wouldn't mind having his entry included in your project, if you feel it is worthwhile.

If it's not Baroque...

Post 5

Kes

Thanks. I had noticed it, and yes, I'll put in a ref. I contacted the author about my project, but no reply yet.

BTW - Joanna and I think the covering article is now complete (apart from a couple of references for articles not yet written), so anytime you could cast a proof-reader's eye over it .... smiley - smiley

Thanks

If it's not Baroque...

Post 6

shazzPRME

Probably one of the most influential composers of Baroque music had to be Telemann... but which composition would you choose?
One of the most striking things about the period had to be the composers reliance on the performers to interpret their music and add dynamics and ornaments where appropriate.
Thus recorder music of the period is remarkably bare unless the present day performer understands that it is their responsibility to actually shape and ornament the music.
Has their been an article written on ornamentation yet does anyone know? If not, I certainly don't mind tackling it, provided you can give me a little time to run the Post in the meantime smiley - smiley
shazz smiley - winkeye

If it's not Baroque...

Post 7

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

OOo... ornamentation brings me to a good point about musicians-- there is musical ability(skill, understanding of harmony, melody, intonation, etc), and then there is musicianship!!! Two completely different concepts.

I battled a fellow teenage oboist someyear ago, and she was precise-- perfect at scales, adept at arpeggios.... But I got her with my PASSION!!! smiley - smiley

If it's not Baroque...

Post 8

shazzPRME

I agree completely smiley - winkeye
I have managed to catch a few performances of the *Bach 48* late at night on the Beeb, and have been struck how some performers just play their offering as written, in an almost mechanical way, and others put that little bit of something extra in and turn it into a magical piece smiley - winkeye
Long Live Interpretation, Emotion and Individuality!
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye

If it's not Baroque...

Post 9

Kes

Yes - performers and composers of the era would agree. Scores were very "outline only" in most cases, so musicians needed to understand about harmonies, and ornamentation, to improvise their parts. Did I hear a "promise" of an item on ornamentation? Yes please! Thanks.

If it's not Baroque...

Post 10

shazzPRME

OK... although I have to try and get my brain around my project on modes, scales and the development of same within musical history... a project which looks as if it will take me quite some time! LOL

If it's not Baroque...

Post 11

Kes

Yes, it will, though there's heaps of material around. The problem will be deciding what level of detail to stop at. Good luck! (I hardly dare to offer editorial help to such exhalted company, but if you need a second pair of eyes on the text, or a second opinion ... happy to help.)

If it's not Baroque...

Post 12

shazzPRME

Thank you... I will probably hold you to that offer! Sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees! LOL
I know what you mean about the scales project... I could fill a whole book with just 'modes' if I'm not careful! I don't want to *dumb it down*, but I want to try and make it reasonably understandable for those who don't have a thorough knowledge of music notation!
Now... if I can just work out how to get this Cakewalk prog. to work, I can make a start smiley - smiley

If it's not Baroque...

Post 13

Kes

OK - just shout when you've got a draft going. Happy to help.

If it's not Baroque...

Post 14

shazzPRME

smiley - smiley
Thanx... much appreciated smiley - smiley
shazz smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post