This is the Message Centre for U5404180

Updating my system (Protecting myself against viruses, hackers and worms)

Post 1

U5404180

I have been getting a pop-up recently from Windows XP to tell me my SP1 system needs updating from to SP2. Having visited Microsoft website they informed me it would take 11 hours for my dial-up connection to take that on board. The ‘free’ copy of the CD costs £6 if you order it online but my laptop was saved by PC WORLD. I picked up my Windows XP Service pack there free of charge.

*Guards privacy with Windows Firewall
*Built in popup blocker
*Monitors security status with Windows Security Center

Cleanup installation took 2-3 hours (I did go out for a walk whilst it was running so it may have taken less time than that. I clicked “Finish” when I arrived home).

Computer duly switched off as recommended.

Computer switched on again up pops Windows Firewall and Norton Antivirus.
Norton Antivirus recommends I switch off Windows Firewall.

smiley - dohsmiley - roflsmiley - steam Any suggestions?

Would that have got rid of a Trojan Horse if I did or did not have one?

How do I know if I’ve got one?

Something happened when the ‘Fireman who grabbed me HOOK. LINE & SINKER when I was working in call center, but they had things going on all the time there, it could very well have been removed.

Could it have been transferred on to laptop from call center?

Could it have been on H2G2 compliments of the ROCKET MAN? Ithink that was the one the upset everyone a few years ago. Is it still on H2G2 - I haven’t seen it.

Who knows?

1st September 2006

Post 2

U5404180

I have been reliably informed about some other software which is also helpful but obviously I cannot mention it here. If you want to ask me what it is meet me down the business centre or the library smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for U5404180

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more