A Conversation for The King of Prussia and the Potato Edict of 1756

Peer Review: A87829618 - The King of Prussia and the Potato Edict of 1756

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Entry: The King of Prussia and the Potato Edict of 1756 - A87829618
Author: Dmitri Gheorgheni - U1590784

Another entry for the Create plant challenge.

Thanks to Bel for reminding me of the sly behaviour of Frederick the Great. I love that guy.

A87829618 - The King of Prussia and the Potato Edict of 1756

Post 2

minorvogonpoet

This is another great article.

You'll probably want to link to the entry on potatoes at A18740522.

It's clear that the potato is a useful crop to grow because it's nutritious, not fussy where it grows and a decent amount can be grown on a small plot.

I have a little quibble about foie gras. I thought only the lowest quality of liver was used in pate. Wouldn't the courtiers be eating the better stuff?

Post 3

smiley - ok Thanks. I linked to several potato entries. I'll see if I can fit that one in.

I don't really know anything about foie gras myself - I wouldn't touch the stuff. Can you suggest a fancier dish then?

Post 4

Sorry, I did have that potato link. Didn't it come up?

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Great entry!

You seem to have a non-breaking space after paté. I don't think that should be there.

I think it should be Gents rather than Gent's.

Post 6

I think you're right on both counts.

The pate business was because I was afraid the code would make it run together...I'll go change it.smiley - ok

Post 7

Icy North

Great entry, Dmitri - I loved it smiley - ok

In fact, it was so good, I was disappointed to see it end where it did. I wanted to read more about how the potato became established elsewhere. Not that I'm asking you to change it, but it might be nice for a lead-on link or something for those whose curiosity you have piqued.

{From the damp UK, ... to sunny Greece, ... solanum tuberosum is everybody's favourite tuber.}

Nothing wrong with those examples, but I'd have associated the potato more with Ireland than the UK.

Having said that, in the UK we used to have a Potato Marketing Board of all things. It was in Oxford - two of my former colleagues looked after their IT systems.

But I digress.

Post 8

Oh, cool. A potato market? Like the Cotton Exchange in my native Memphis? smiley - bigeyes

Thanks. Once I get a breather, I'll see if I can find some further reading on potato firsts. It's a good idea. smiley - eureka

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

There's a lot to be said about the "lumper" potato monoculture of 19th-century Ireland and the Great Famine, but this entry is not the place for it.

Post 10

Absolutely. I agree - Ireland and potato culture is a serious subject, and deserves thoughtful treatment by a knowledgeable person.

Potato humour doesn't fit there.

Post 11

minorvogonpoet

Sorry, the link with the potato article is there, it's just that I was reading in Pliny and the blue text doesn't show up that well among grey text.

I wouldn't eat foie gras myself, but in the part of France I know, they use it in salads and meat dishes. It's a delicacy. It's just the pate that isn't so rated.

Post 12

I have that contrast problem with Pliny, mself. smiley - winkeye

Thank you! I'm so ignorant in French, it isn't funny...I was once inordinately proud of myself for being able to order 'creme brulee renversee' in a French restaurant...

I'll change it to 'foie gras'. smiley - smiley

Post 13

As per a request to provide a link with more potato information, here is a further reading section:

A link to an article on the impact of the potato in Europe.
A link to a short bio of Frederick.
A link to Frederick's recently-discovered erotic poem.

Post 14

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Wow. What a delicious article! I have used reverse psychology multiple times myself and know its power. smiley - hero

Phew, that poemsmiley - blush

Thanks for bringing Frederick the Great to my attention!smiley - ok

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 15

Thanks, GB. smiley - smiley

Yeah, everybody should meet Frederick. He was an interesting guy. smiley - winkeye

Post 16

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Yes, I have a time-machine on my wish-listsmiley - ok

Post 17

smiley - laugh Moi, aussi.

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 19

Icy North

smiley - bubblysmiley - crisps

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

Well done.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more