A Conversation for Port Sunlight, Wirral, UK

Peer Review: A87829438 - Port Sunlight, Wirral, UK

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Entry: Port Sunlight, Wirral, UK - A87829438
Author: SashaQ - towel - don't panic! - U9936370

Continuing my Museum theme, here is a village with two museums to enjoy smiley - biggrin

A87829438 - Port Sunlight, Wirral, UK

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

OO... its got a mention of Antinous..... I msut finish off the entry on him smiley - blushsmiley - biro

OO... nice... I read thorugh it and didn't spot anything amiss smiley - zensmiley - magicsmiley - zenIf only modern housing was built in a simualr way... rahter than monoculture housing smiley - groansmiley - blush

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, I thought of you when I saw him in the gallery today - I look forward to seeing your Entry in due course smiley - biggrin

Yes, the atmosphere of the village is very pleasant, not being uniform, and hence having much more character smiley - ok

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I can't even remember if I actually* started the entry... or just basically wrote down the title... as in 'Antinous' smiley - laughsmiley - blush if ONly I had any concentration thesedays smiley - blushsmiley - handcuffs - I'm not a fan of the uniform estate look... everything too samey... and sometimes it doesn't even alter much over time... smiley - sadface

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

I tweaked this in accordance with the comment attached to the Entry itself, and added a couple more links smiley - ok

Post 6

bobstafford

Excellent
smiley - ok

Post 7

Bluebottle

I thought I'd look to see how many listed buildings there were in Port Sunlight. 198 on the English Heritage website...

<BB<

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks <BB< - I added the link to Port Sunlight on the English Heritage listing page smiley - ok

I see the houses are listed in blocks, hence there are only 198 different listings, but there are many more houses than that.

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

You talk about people working in the Sunlight Soap factory in the past tense in a few places, but don't say whether soap is still made in the factory. (Or perhaps you do and I missed it.)

130AD - house style is for a space before AD

"Antinous, a male who was the Roman Emperor Hadrian's beloved" -- this sounds a bit odd. Normally you describe a person as "a male". You could say "the young man".

"Temporary exhibitions change regularly, and recent displays include 'The last Pre-Raphaelite' Eleanor Fortescue Brickdale, and a selection of Turner's watercolours, prints and oil paintings."

This would be better if you changed the first "and" to a semicolon.

"Initially only for workers at the Sunlight Soap factory, and later owned by Unilever3 property in the Village was allowed to be purchased during the 1980s"

I suggest moving the comma from after factory to after Unilever3.

smiley - smiley
"

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks Gnomon smiley - ok

Changes made, and I rewrote the paragraph about the statues to clarify my thinking in relation to male/female.

smiley - biggrin

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

This looks good.smiley - ok

Dublin has a very distinctive building called Sunlight Chambers which was the headquarters of the same company. It is covered in stucco reliefs showing the history of soap-making. I may write an Entry on it at some stage or include it in a more general entry.

Post 12

Icy North

Very good smiley - ok

Just one question: why do you capitalise Village?

smiley - cheers Icy

Post 13

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks Icy smiley - biggrin

In the materials I read, the people of Port Sunlight refer to it as The Village, but other villages are available...

I therefore made some tweaks and removed the capitalisation smiley - ok

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 15

Icy North

smiley - bubblysmiley - applause

Post 16

Bluebottle

Port Sunlight is The Village? I thought that was Portmeirionsmiley - winkeye
Well done!

<BB<

Post 17

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - bubbly

Post 18

bobstafford

smiley - bubblysmiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post