Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Entry: Constellations: Hydra 'the Sea Serpent' - A31387674
Author: Galaxy Babe - Front Page author - U128652

Go for it, PR.

A31387674 - Constellations: Hydra 'the Sea Serpent'

Post 2

Skankyrich [?]

Excellent as usual!

When were the other constellations 'syphoned off'? I only ask because I thought I remembered something to do with Apollo, and it seems there's an alternative story of how it got into the sky:

http://www.coldwater.k12.mi.us/lms/planetarium/myth/Hydra.html

I quite like that version smiley - smiley

Post 3

By 'syphoned off', do you mean Argo Navis, the ship Argo from the legend of Jason and the Argonauts? de Lacaille thought it too big to be manageable, so he split it into three new constellations: Carina the hull, Vela the sail, and Puppis the stern.

Crater and Corvus are still recognised constellations, and I can certainly write up that version of the myth for you, thanks Richsmiley - ok

Post 4

OK you mentioned the original intro, which doesn't work now I'v added Apollo, so I've reworked the introsmiley - ok

Post 5

Noth€r

No opening quote? smiley - smiley

Post 6

Added, hope you like that onesmiley - ok

Post 7

Just added this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7351516.stm

Post 8

For comparison I can offer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/myspace/constellationguide/hydra.shtml

Post 9

ITIWBS

Just gave this a read. A couple of spelling glitches: the h2g2 spell check prefers "analyzers" to "analysers", fifth to last word in the section on "Overlapping Galaxies". (Alternatively, this might be "analysts"); in the section on "Hickson 40", "ginormous", second to last word, third sentence.

I'll be giving this another read later.

A wealth of fascinating material!

Post 10

Hi ITIWBS smiley - smiley

Thanks for the review, and glad you like the Entry.

The word is correct, and I don't understand the problem with "ginormous", both words are in my British English dictionary smiley - smiley

smiley - cupcake
You know your instructions on how to find stuff in the text? We discovered that if you press CTRL+f a little box pops up, and you type in the word/phrase you need, click "next" or hit the enter button, and the word is selected for you in the text. Most authors know this, certainly the subs and Curators do, it's a handy tip to pass on, forgive me if you already know itsmiley - ok

GB
smiley - starsmiley - diva

Post 11

ITIWBS

I was aware that both spellings are in the OED (analysers, analizers). The second, 'ginormous' is also a commonplace portmanteau mistake I've made myself three times in the last six months, which is why I mentioned it.

The only criticisms I've seen to make on content relate to materials in some of the links and probably are not of importance enough to be bothered about. smiley - smiley

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

Are you saying that links in this entry point to inappropiate pages, ITIWBS?

I've had a quick look through this, GB.

The spelling "analyse" is preferable to "analyze". The h2g2 Editors have said that they prefer s to z in all the "ise"/"yse" words.

"Ginormous" is an acceptable word. It should not be used in formal reports, but gives the Guide an informal, casual feel.

Scottish lake --> Scottish loch

Hydra runs parallel beneath the ecliptic --> this is clumsy. It should be something like:

"Hydra is south of the ecliptic and runs parallel to it"

intriguingly called 'Ghost of Jupiter' --> intriguingly called the 'Ghost of Jupiter'

who catalogued it H II.196. --> who catalogued it as H II.196.

smiley - smiley

Post 13

ITIWBS

Gnomon: The links are good, the one on black holes could be a little more rigorous but is certainly adequate. I haven't got any better to link offer. I'm still new to peer review, haven't past experience with writer's groups and I'm learning.

Post 14

Corrections madesmiley - biro thanks Gnomon and ITIWBS, h2g2 was my first (and so far, only) writing group as well smiley - smiley

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Never be afraid to say what you think is right. If it doesn't fit in with the house rules (such as the spelling and date formats), we'll let you know. Other than that, the author should consider all suggestions.

Post 16

Anything else regarding Hydra? smiley - smiley

Post 17

Icy North

Nothing to add to this, GB - a fine entry, with a fascinating mythology section.

It's on my list to write an entry about the 'real' sea serpent.

smiley - cheers Icy

Post 18

smiley - wowthanks Icysmiley - ok

smiley - coolcan't waitsmiley - dragon

smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Any other comments...? smiley - smiley

Post 20

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

smiley - whistle

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more